The Monster Tail is a small design based on the really popular Rainbow Loom board. My daughter and I both really love this new concept because we found the original plastic peg board hard to use and not very portable.
This handy and compact bracelet maker now gives both kids and adults a very fast, easy and intuitive way to create a range of the most popular rubber band bracelet designs. You can also make necklaces, headbands and other items of jewelry too. Design patterns you can make include the quadfish, fishtails and hexafish. These all look rather difficult to make and yet you can make them much more easily with this newer style of board.
Although many people refer to this device as a mini loom, this Monster Tail is not actually a smaller or cut-down version of the original board. It works in a slightly different way because its design will make what are known as 'tail' patterns. Both my daughter and I believe it is the easiest way for kids to get started with making their rubber band jewelry designs and this article explains why and what's so good about it.
If you buy this, do make sure that you get hold of the official version which comes in the packaging shown in the photos on this page. There are a lot of inferior copies of these boards available and they tend to break pretty easily.
An Easy Transition from Using Fingers to Using a Loom
Many children actually start to make these rubber band bracelets using their fingers instead of the pegs on a loom board. That is how most of my daughter’s friends learned to make these jewelry designs. The children enjoy chatting about how to make the patterns with their fingers while at school and when meeting up for play dates. We've had these colored bands all over the home when other kids have come round to play.
Using their fingers is the fastest, most effective and inexpensive way for children to start with this craft. It means that they just need their hands, some colored stretchy bands and clips to fix and secure the finished ends of the jewelry designs together. However, it's not the safest way to work since the bands can become too tight around fingers and even start to cut off the blood supply. A board provides a safer method of making up the designs.
Included in the Monster Tail Box Set
Included in the box are the following items:
- The clear Monster Tail loom board
- 600+ rubber bands, latex-free and in a range of colors
- A hook which also has a lid that functions as a mini loom
- 25 C clips, needed to fasten off bracelet and necklace designs
- An instruction manual
The original style Rainbow boards, however, don't mimic this natural 'finger weaving' action that many children first get accustomed to. In fact, when presented with an original board and this new tail version, my then 7-year-old could not get her head round how to use the old style design. She got the Monster Tail immediately because the layout made more sense. The very first thing she made was a single band quadfish design which looks really impressive.
With the Monster loom, you can see the design of the rubber bands instantly and what the finished product is going to look like. This is because the colored bands form down through the middle of the transparent board. This is very similar to how it works when making these using your own fingers.
The bonus of this board is that you have 8 pegs or posts on which to work the bands round which gives children and crafty adults a lot more scope to work with than 5 digits. It also can result in you making many more intricate designs.
Note: This post contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated.
Here's What We Love About this Set
- Bracelets and jewelry items are faster and easier for us to make than with the original Rainbow loom board.
- The process on this loom mimics how many kids originally learn to make these. We like how the bracelets come out through the middle of the transparent board instead of being worked around it.
- It is highly portable, since this design is much smaller and easier to pack. We use it on journeys and while traveling in the car as a great boredom buster.
- We think this design is better for younger kids to start with. My daughter could use this straightaway with the enclosed instructions. There are patterns to follow for a single band quadfish and a criss-cross quadfish along with clear photos. It is for age 7+ so younger children will probably need help if they've never made anything with these bands before.
- The set comes with 600 colorful bands in a variety of cute colors to get started. You also get 25 C shaped clips which you use to hook the ends of bracelets and necklaces together so they are worn without falling apart.
- The plastic hook in this kit is very sturdy and good quality. It also has a mini loom with 2 pegs on it as a fast way of making up the fishtail design.
- It can offer hours of fun. My daughter and I both enjoy making up cute designs and it is nice to work on a craft that we can really enjoy together.
My Rating for this Loom Band Set
Fun Set, Contains All You Need but Instructions Could be Improved
Very Easy Starter Bracelet Pattern
If you are thinking of buying this craft kit for a child who has never actually made any rubber band designs before, you would do well to check out how to make a fishtail bracelet. This is a great first design to get started with and is worked across just two pegs. 
It is a pity that this simple fishtail design is not included in the actual instruction manual. You can see a demonstration in action with the video. Instead there are some harder designs in the manual that require more patience to perfect.
Making an Easy Fishtail Rubber Band Design
Once You Start, it is Easy to Get Hooked
It is very easy to quickly build up a big collection of different color bands once you get into this craft. You can keep the bands in bags although we found it is better to get organizer boxes where you can separate colors. It is much easier to make specific patterns up when you can quickly get hold of the exact colors that you need. If you do a lot of traveling, having an organizer box with carry handle is useful. Enjoy making up some fun jewelry.
Image Credits: The introductory image belongs to the author, Marie Williams Johnstone. All other images (unless watermarked with the author’s name) are product photos from Amazon.