Every guy wants a 6-pack, and every girl wants a guy with a 6-pack. That’s just the “definition” of a man in ultimate shape. Which may be one of the reasons for you reading this article; and another reason why I’m writing it. So, if you’re in the market for some amazing abs, then you may want to keep reading.
The Book That Started it All
Last year I was intentionally unemployed for a couple months. During that time I thought I could start my own business, create a future for myself, and live happily ever after. Well, let’s just say that it didn’t go quite as plan. But does it ever?
As I was struggling to find my next career, I came across the bestselling book by Tim Ferriss, The 4-Hour Workweek. This book started a whole new path for me with my vocation. But then he recently came out with the 4-Hour Body. This book changed my physique. Because of the lack of employment, I began to eat and become lazy, so I naturally gained a lot of weight. It was gross. But after reading through the 4-Hour Body, I decided to try out the diet he labels in there: The Slow-Carb Diet.
I’ve written elsewhere about this diet, but what it did was help me to lose 14 lbs in 5 weeks thus far. And I plan to lose much more. I also plan to utilize some of his other tricks as well to “hack” the body into shape. Some of these include:
- Sleeping only 2 hours per day and feeling great
- Gaining 100 lbs in your bench press
- Running as fast as an NFL player
- And others
So I’ve decided to jump on board with a couple of these other “hacks” and see if they produce results like the Slow-Carb Diet has. This article is definitely not as thorough and comprehensive as Tim’s book, so if you’d like to pick it up, just head over to Amazon.
The 6-Minute Abs
If you really want visible abs you’ll need to do more than just be skinny. There are a lot of people who are skinny, but have no abs whatsoever. There are two keys to obtaining a 6-pack. These are:
1. Exercising in such a way that enhances more than half full range of motion of the abdominals.
2. Eating a diet that allows a sustained bodyfat of lower than 12 percent, preferably the Slow-Carb Diet.
If you follow these two rules, then your abs will appear like magic in no time.
Depending upon your current amount of bodyfat, it may take a few more weeks of exercises and diet than if you were already 12% or higher in bodyfat. Here are the exercises to follow. If you’re only able to do one of them, then choose this first one.
The Myotatic Crunch
The first exercise, the myotatic crunch, was discovered by Tim Ferriss to be an amazing workout that fully utilizes the fully stretched position for the abs to contract stronger. For this exercise, you’ll need either a BOSU ball, a small Swiss ball (45-55 centimeters in diameter) or a pile of firm cushions.
Make sure you bum is close to the floor (no more than 6” off the ground). Then follow these steps in order:
1. Pull your arms outstretched overhead as high as humanly possible. Keep your arms behind or next to your ears for the whole exercise.
2. Lower your body, under control, for 4 seconds until your fingers touch the floor. The whole time you should be extending your hands further away from the ball.
3. When at the bottom, pause for 2 seconds, stretching out as far as possible.
4. Rise up, under control, and pause in the upper position for 2 more seconds. Don’t let your arms pass 90 degrees with the ground.
5. Repeat for 10 repetitions. If you can complete 10 reps, then add weight to your hands. Books may be the best option for weights.
The Cat Vomit Exercise
Named precisely because you look like a cat about to vomit, this exercise focuses on the transverse abdominis (TVA). This is the deepest of the six main abdominal muscles. To do this exercise correctly, follow these guidelines:
1. Get on all fours like an animal and don’t lift your head up entirely. Keep your back straight as well.
2. Now you’ll forcefully exhale all of the air in your lungs from your mouth. This contracts your abs quite intensely. You need to fully exhale to reach your TVA.
3. Hold your breath and pull your navel upward toward your spine as hard as you can for 8-12 seconds.
4. Inhale fully through the nose after the 8-12 second hold.
5. Take one breath cycle of rest and then repeat the process for 10 repetitions in total.
I wouldn’t suggest doing this at the gym. You might look a little crazy. But these are the two exercises that will provide you with the 6-pack abs you’re in the market for. The pictures of these exercises can be found in the book The 4-Hour Body.
Whether you’re trying to impress a woman, or you simply want more confidence, then the 6-Minute Abs may just be the workout to boost you into that sphere. If you’re also looking for ways to boost your bench press or even your size, then Tim Ferriss’s book will help with that too. From the “Eating the Elephant” section that helps you gain 100 lbs to your bench press to the Uberman sleep schedule, you’ll be ready to “hack” your body into doing whatever you want it to do. Following is a list of other articles that I’ve written that are based upon this book:
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors to “hack” your body. Feel free to come back and leave comments to let us all know how you’ve done.