Forgot your password?

The Power of Liver Anatomy

By Edited Jul 31, 2015 0 0

Liver Anatomy
The liver anatomy is very important for the regulation of the bodily processes. It performs various functions that are vital for the survival of the individual. Without this  organ, a person will not last for more than a month even though liver dialysis can be carried out. The liver is a large organ weighing around three pounds. It is reddish in appearance and rubbery to touch. The liver is deep seated behind the rib cage and you cannot normally palpate the liver.

Liver Anatomy Overview

Anatomy Liver
 The liver is situated at the right upper quadrant of the abdominal cavity. It is divided into four divisions by fissures; right lobe, left lobe, quadrate lobe, and the caudate lobe. There are five ligaments that connect the liver to the abdominal walls and diaphragm.
  • Right triangular ligament
  • Left triangular ligament
  • Round ligament
  • Coronary ligament
  • Falciform ligament


The liver anatomy is a very unique organ of the human body because it is the only organ that can undergo self- regeneration in case a part of it is removed.

Liver Anatomy Function

Function Liver Anatomy
The liver is a very vital organ that plays crucial roles in the maintenance of the human body. It helps in cleaning and getting rid of dirt in the circulating blood. The liver also participates in protein synthesis and secreting necessary biochemicals for proper digestion. The liver helps in metabolism by storing glycogen and producing bile for fat emulsification. Furthermore, the liver, along with the spleen, serves as the graveyard for red blood cells.

Liver Blood Flow

Blood Flow of the Liver
The main blood suppliers of the liver anatomy are the hepatic portal vein and hepatic arteries. The hepatic portal vein carries both oxygenated and unoxygenated blood from the spleen, gastrointestinal organs, and other adjacent organs. This vein runs through between the lobules and ends at the sinusoids. The remaining amount of blood is derived from the hepatic arteries.

Microscopic Liver Anatomy

Microscopic Liver Anatomy
Under a microscope, the liver is covered with visceral peritoneum and Glisson capsule just below it. The Glisson capsule would run through the portal tracts that lead to the hepatic artery, portal veins, and bile ducts. The cells of the liver are known as the hepatocytes that line the sinusoids. The hepatocytes are part of the parenchymal cells and form 60 percent of the liver cells. The non-parenchymal cells constitute the remaining 40 percent which include hepatic stellate cells, kupffer cells, and sinusoidal endothelial cells. The sinusoids contain Kupffer cells of the reticuloendothelial system. The livers surface is made up of hexagonal lobules that contain portal tracts.

Summary of Liver Anatomy

The liver anatomy is one of the largest organs of the body. It is located at the top right portion of the abdomen behind the rib cage. The liver plays vital roles for the maintenance of the body’s homeostasis.



Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Technology