The Pros and Cons of a Wooden Cutting Board
Wooden cutting boards have been around for a long time. They continue to be popular and for good reasons. While wooden cutting boards have a lot of advantages, there are still a few big disadvantages with these cutting boards.
- Beauty – Aesthetics are a great reason to choose a cutting board, especially if you are planning on leaving it out and about for people to see. You can get them in a wide range of colors and styles so that you can meet your needs.
- Durability – Wood is durable. It can handle you cutting into it regularly. If you are willing to take care of it then you will even be able to keep it for years.
- Easy on Knives – Hard surfaces are not good for your knives. The wood has enough give that it doesn't damage your knives as quickly. Good knife care is still important, but you will keep your knife nicer, longer with wood cutting boards.
- Resistant to Bacteria – Studies have shown that wood is really good for sanitary reasons as well. First of all, the bacteria stays where you put it rather than spreading all over the place. It also soaks it in which makes it harder to spread the bacteria (though you should still be careful to avoid contamination). Finally, the wood seems to kill the bacteria or refuse to let it grow. This makes it very good for keeping things clean and sanitary.
- Affordable – Wood cutting boards are not all created equal and a cheap wood cutting board isn't likely to have as good of a lifespan, however even expensive cutting boards made from wood are fairly affordable.
- Good Lifespan – With care you can keep your wood cutting board lasting a long time. This is great for those who want to keep the things you buy rather than replacing them regularly.
Credit: AmazonCredit: Amazon
- Harder to Clean – Many cutting boards can be thrown in the dishwasher, stuck in the soapy water, and other quick and easy cleaning methods. Wood cutting boards should be wiped down or scrubbed away from the water. You should submerse it because the water is bad for it. This makes it harder to clean.
- Not Dishwasher Safe – Under no circumstances should you stick your wooden cutting board in the dishwasher. Both the heat and water of it can cause a lot of damage to your cutting board. Instead you should take the time to wash it by hand. However, if you are wanting a board you can toss into the dishwasher this is definitely not the option for you.
- Can Be Damaged – While the wood cutting board is durable, it can be damaged. Water and dryness can cause the boards to pull apart. Not keeping it flat can cause the boards to bend. Other damage can happen if you aren't really careful.
- Must Be Maintained – In all of this, I talk about maintaining the cutting board. A wooden cutting board requires you to care for it regularly. While it doesn't take long, it does take time.
- Not Always High Quality – Not every wooden cutting board is created equal and you might not be getting one that is high quality.
Because most of the disadvantages of with wooden cutting boards have to do with their care it is a good idea to know what their care is before you buy a good cutting board. When washing a wood cutting board you should avoid as much water as possible. You should also use natural cleaning methods to keep it looking nice, smelling nice, and keeping it disinfected. Finally it is important to oil and or wax it regularly to keep it looking.
For many a wooden cutting board is the perfect choice. Not only is it beautiful it is good for your knives and lasts a long time with care. However, it does take care and that turns a lot of people off. It is harder to keep clean and looking beautiful and you can't just throw it in the dishwasher.