The Bible is the sacred book of Christianity and is the inspired record of God's revelation of himself and of His will to mankind. It is the only book which is printed in an enormous amount all around the world. The Bible is an ancient collection of writings. Earlier, all the laws and commandments of the Jehovah God were written in leather scrolls and tablets. The Bible comprises of the Old Testament (before Christ) and the New Testament (after Christ). The Old Testament is the religious book of the Jews. Johan Gutenberg's printing press produced the first printed Bible in Mainz. It is believed that the Old Testament was written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek and Aramaic. John Wycliffe (an English theologian and religious reformer) translated the whole Bible into English language. There are many versions available like,
The Living Bible
The Jerusalem Bible
The New American (Standard) Bible
Good News Bible
New International Version
New King James Version
The Common Bible
The King James Version became the most widely used translation in the English speaking world.
The Bible has in it 35,66,480 letters, 8,10,677 words, 31,175 verses, 1189 chapters and 66 books. There are 39 books in the Old Testament. They are listed below:
1. Genesis, 2.Exodus, 3.Leviticus, 4.Numbers, 5.Deuteronomy, 6.Joshua, 7.Judges, 8.Ruth, 9.I Samuel, 10.II Samuel, 11.I Kings, 12.II Kings, 13.I Chronicles, 14.II Chronicles, 15.Ezra, 16.Nehemiah, 17.Esther, 18.Job, 19.Psalms, 20.Proverbs, 21.Ecclesiastes, 22.Song of Solomon, 23.Isaiah, 24.Jeremiah, 25.Lamentations, 26.Ezekiel, 27.Daniel, 28.Hosea, 29.Joel, 30.Amos, 31.Obadiah, 32.Jonah, 33.Micah, 34.Nahum, 35.Habakkuk, 36.Zephaniah, 37.Haggai, 38.Zechariah, 39.Malachi.
There are 27 books in the New Testament. They are listed below:
1. Matthew, 2.Mark, 3.Luke 4.John, 5.Acts, 6.Romans, 7.I Corinthians, 8.II Corinthians, 9.Galatians, 10.Ephesians, 11.Philippians, 12.Colossians, 13.I Thessalonians, 14.II Thessalonians, 15.I Timothy, 16.II Timothy, 17.Titus, 18.Philemon, 19.Hebrews, 20.James, 21.I Peter, 22.II Peter, 23.I John, 24.II John, 25.III John, 26.Jude, 27.Revelation.
The longest chapter is the 119 Psalm. The shortest and the middle chapter of the Bible is Psalm 117. The middle verse is the 8th verse of the 118th Psalm. The longest name is in the first chapter of the 8th chapter of Isaiah which has 18 letters. The word 'and' occurs 46,627 times in the Bible. The word 'Lord' appears 1855 times. The 37th chapter of Isaiah and the 19th chapter of II Kings are alike. The longest verse is 9th verse of the 8th chapter of Esther (Esther 8:9). The shortest verse is 35th verse of the 11th chapter of the gospel of John (John 11:35). All the alphabetical letters except "j" can be seen in the 21st verse of the seventh chapter of Ezra (Ezra 7:21). The finest piece of reading is the 26th chapter of Acts. The name of God is not found in Esther. The Bible contains knowledge, wisdom, the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of the sinner and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy. Its precepts are binding. Its histories are true and the decisions are immutable. It contains light to guide you, food to support you and comfort to cheer you. The word 'boy' occurs thrice in the Bible and the word 'girl' occurs twice. Christ is the key to the entire book. 40 men were employed in its making and were written by doctors, farmers, fishers, kings, shepherds, old, young, rich, poor, learned, unlearned people. It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's star, the pilot's compass and the soldier's sword. Do not neglect your Bible. It is a mine of health and wealth and also a river of pleasure to the soul. The Bible is given to everyone in this era and it will be opened for every individual for the judgment day and will be established forever. 15th verse of the second chapter of II Timothy is the key that will unlock the sacred book to everyone. The Bible is the most translated book in the world. It has been translated into 2,018 languages and dialects than any other book that has been written. The Bible continues to be the best seller in the world. The Bible is the best book in the world.
The more we read the Bible; we become familiar with the verses. Each and every word which is inscribed in the Bible is the words of the Almighty God. The Bible says that HE (Jesus) is the author and finisher of our faith. So read the Bible with faith to get closer to the mighty God of Israel.
The benefits that we get from reading the Bible:
1. It keeps us from sinning (Psalm 119:11).
2. It purifies us (John 15:3).
3. It is our guiding light (Psalm 119:105).
4. It gives us hope (Romans 15:4).
5. It gives us faith (Romans 10:17).
6. It gives us joy (Jeremiah 15:16).
7. It helps us to know God's will (Daniel 9:2 & Jeremiah 25:11).
8. It helps us to realize the fulfillment of prophecy (Luke 4:16-21 & Isaiah 61:1-3).
9. It makes us blessed (Psalm 1:1--3).
10. It helps us to overcome temptation (Matthew 4:4,7,10 & Luke 4:4,8,12).
When Sir Walter Scott was dying, he asked Lockhart to read the Bible to him
"There's just one Book!" cried the dying sage;
"Read me the old, old story."
And the winged words that can never age
Wafted him home to glory.
There's just one Book.
There's just one Book for the tender years -
One Book alone for guiding
the little feet through the joys and fears
that unknown days are hiding.
There's just one Book.
There's just one Book for life's gladness,
One book for the toilsome days;
One book that can cure life's madness;
One book that can voice life's praise.
There's just one Book.
There's just one Book for the dying,
One Book for the starting years,
And one for the soul that's flying
Home for the measureless years.
There's just one Book.
The Bible foreshadows scientific discoveries.
There are various Scientific Facts in the Bible
1. Only in recent years has science discovered that everything we see is composed of invisible atoms. Here, Scripture tells us that the "things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."
2. Medical science has only recently discovered that blood-clotting in a newborn reaches its peak on the eighth day, then drops. The Bible consistently says that a baby must be circumcised on the eighth day.
3. At a time when it was believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant (1500 B.C.), the Bible spoke of the earth’s free float in space: "He...hangs the earth upon nothing" (Job 26:7).
4. The prophet Isaiah also tells us that the earth is round: "It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth" (Isaiah 40:22). This is not a reference to a flat disk, as some skeptic maintain, but to a sphere. Secular man discovered this 2,400 years later. At a time when science believed that the earth was flat, is was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world (Proverbs 3:6 ).
5. God told Job in 1500 B.C.: "Can you send lightning, that they may go, and say to you, here we are?" (Job 38:35). The Bible here is making what appears to be a scientifically ludicrous statement—that light can be sent, and then manifest itself in speech. But did you know that radio waves travel at the speed of light? This is why you can have instantaneous wireless communication with someone on the other side of the earth. Science didn’t discover this until 1864 when "British scientist James Clerk Maxwell suggested that electricity and light waves were two forms of the same thing".
6. Job 38:19 asks, "Where is the way where light dwells?" Modern man has only recently discovered that light (electromagnetic radiation) has a "way," traveling at 186,000 miles per second.
7. Science has discovered that stars emit radio waves, which are received on earth as a high pitch. God mentioned this in Job 38:7: "When the morning stars sang together..."
8. "Most cosmologists (scientists who study the structures and evolution of the universe) agree that the Genesis account of creation, in imagining an initial void, may be uncannily close to the truth" (Dec. 1976).
9. Solomon described a "cycle" of air currents two thousand years before scientists "discovered" them. "The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits" (Ecclesiastes 1:6).
10. Science expresses the universe in five terms: time, space, matter, power, and motion. Genesis 1:1,2 revealed such truths to the Hebrews in 1450 B.C.: "In the beginning [time] God created [power] the heaven [space] and the earth [matter] . . . And the Spirit of God moved [motion] upon the face of the waters." The first thing God tells man is that He controls of all aspects of the universe.
11. The great biological truth concerning the importance of blood in our body’s mechanism has been fully comprehended only in recent years. Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled," and many died because of the practice. If you lose your blood, you lose your life. Yet Leviticus 17:11, written 3,000 years ago, declared that blood is the source of life: "For the life of the flesh is in the blood."
12. All things were made by Him (see John 1:3), including dinosaurs. Why then did the dinosaur disappear? The answer may be in Job 40:15–24. In this passage, God speaks about a great creature called "behemoth." Some commentators think this was a hippopotamus. However, the hippo’s tail isn’t like a large tree, but a small twig. Following are the characteristics of this huge animal: It was the largest of all the creatures God made; was plant-eating (herbivorous); had its strength in its hips and a tail like a large tree. It had very strong bones, lived among the trees, drank massive amounts of water, and was not disturbed by a raging river. He appears impervious to attack because his nose could pierce through snares, but Scripture says, "He that made him can make his sword to approach unto him." In other words, God caused this, the largest of all the creatures He had made, to become extinct.
13. Encyclopedia Britannica documents that in 1845, a young doctor in Vienna named Dr.Ignaz Semmelweis was horrified at the terrible death rate of women who gave birth in hospitals. As many as 30 percent died after giving birth. Semmelweis noted that doctors would examine the bodies of patients who died, then, without washing their hands, go straight to the next ward and examine expectant mothers. This was their normal practice, because the presence of microscopic diseases was unknown. Semmelweis insisted that doctors wash their hands before examinations, and the death rate immediately dropped to 2 percent. Look at the specific instructions God gave his people for when they encounter disease: "And when he that has an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself even days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean" (Leviticus 15:13). Until recent years, doctors washed their hands in a bowl of water, leaving invisible germs on their hands. However, the Bible says specifically to wash hands under "running water."
14. Luke 17:34–36 says the Second Coming of Jesus Christ will occur while some are asleep at night and others are working at daytime activities in the field. This is a clear indication of a revolving earth, with day and night at the same time.
15. "During the devastating Black Death of the fourteenth century, patients who were sick or dead were kept in the same rooms as the rest of the family. People often wondered why the disease was affecting so many people at one time. They attributed these epidemics to ‘bad air’ or ‘evil spirits.’ However, careful attention to the medical commands of God as revealed in Leviticus would have saved untold millions of lives. Arturo Castiglione wrote about the overwhelming importance of this biblical medical law: ‘The laws against leprosy in Leviticus 13 may be regarded as the first model of sanitary legislation’ (A History of Medicine)." Grant R. Jeffery, The Signature of God With all these truths revealed in Scripture, how could a thinking person deny that the Bible is supernatural in origin? Hank Hanegraaff said, "Faith in Christ is not some blind leap into a dark chasm, but a faith based on established evidence."
Thus speaks the Bible. So read and hear the Bible every day.