GFCF and Soy-Free Ice Cream DIY Intro
Finally you can find gluten-free, dairy-free (GFCF, lactose-free) and soy-free ice cream on the market. Naturally, you will pay an exorbitant rate for it if you manage to find it in your specialty food market. The truth is, though, that there are tons of really easy dessert recipes that will cost you pennies a bowl and that are drastically higher in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant power. Now, I am not going to tell anyone what to put into their body, nor how much to spend on their desserts. I will say that there was a time where I was in the habit of eating dessert every night and it usually ran me $5-10 per day. Assuming I never ate any other sweet dessert-type snacks during the day, which is pretty ridiculous for me, well then I was spending between $2500 and $3000 per year just on unhealthy desserts. The real number was probably $4-5000, counting all of the other junk I was eating. It is no surprise I was carrying extra belly weight and never had any energy. I was becoming concerned about diabetes, for example.
Now, I spend $7-800 per year. Yes, you read that right. Per year. The truth is that I love what I eat far better and it takes me less than five minutes per day to make. If you have children or stubborn partners, these recipes are terrific ways of pumping tons of essential nutrition into a diet that might otherwise be low in vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants, not to mention powerful enzymes. Do you really want to see the difference after ten years of living one way versus the other? Do you want those comparisons to be based off of the inactions of you and your family?
Take the opportunity to make easy change that will make you healthier, help you lose weight, and really offer great tasting desserts that are healthier than your dinners!
What You Need for Fast Gluten-free, Dairy-free, and Soy-free Ice Cream
- Frozen Fruit (whatever flavour of ice cream you prefer)
- Blender or food processor
- At least two cans of full fat coconut milk
- Extracts (optional)
- Spices or seasonings (optional)
- Sugar or sweetener (optional but recommended)
- Freezer-safe container
Sample Quick and Healthy Dessert Recipes:
1) Quickest Power Dessert Ice Cream Smoothie
- One cup of frozen fruit (I like blueberries or strawberries)
- Half tsp of real vanilla
- One can of refrigerated coconut milk (light or regular)
- One half can or refrigerated light coconut milk + one a third of a cup of hemp or almond milk (lowest fat method)
Dump one can of refrigerated regular or light coconut milk into a blender and add a cup of mixed frozen fruit. Add a cap of real vanilla. Blend until smooth. Eat right away or place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
2) Gourmet GFCF Soy-free Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cans of refrigerated regular coconut milk
- 1 cup of slightly thawed fruit
- 1 tsp real vanilla (or seasoning/ flavouring of your choice)
- Two tablespoons of agave nectar or real maple syrup (optional)
Open the cans and gently remove the cream only from the cans with a spatula. Drain the water and then scoop out the rest of the cream. Dump the fruit and flavouring into the blender and blend until smooth. Scoop all the contents into a chilled container and place in the freezer. Chill for fifteen minutes, remove and stir well, making sure to scrape any frozen parts off of the container walls. Place back in the freezer for fifteen more minutes. Serve and enjoy!