So you are interested in tasting the rich spices and smelling the hefty aromas of a real Indian curry cooking on your stove? You have come to the right place!
Curry is thought to have originated in India. A true Indian curry is a stew that is flavored with Garam Masala, which is a special blend of at least 8 spices. Each Indian family has its own secret recipe for this blend.
If you ever find yourself in
If you won’t be visiting South Africa anytime soon, here is the best curry recipe and bunny chow instructions to try this meal at home.
The curry and bunny chow recipe
List of ingredients:
1 chicken - washed, drained and pulled into pieces
1 chopped onion
Oil and butter
1 Tbsp ginger
1 Tbsp Garam Masala (you can buy a commercial blend)
1 Tbsp crushed chillies
1 Tbsp Dhania (coriander) powder
1 Tbsp turmeric
1 Tbsp fine salt
1 Tbsp Jeera (cumin)
3 cinnamon sticks
2 – 3 chopped tomatoes (or one tin of tomatoes)
3 – 4 potatoes cut into cubes
3 sliced carrots
- Put some oil and butter into a hot pan and allow the butter to melt.
- Add the chopped onion and all the spices. Cook to soften the onions for a few minutes.
- To braise, add the chicken to the onion and spices and brown slightly.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and bring the pot to the boil.
- Add the potatoes and carrots.
- Put the pot on a low heat and leave to simmer until done. This should take around 30 – 40 minutes, but keep an eye on it.
- Garnish with Dhania leaves and chillies.
Now that your delicious curry is ready, you can prepare the bunny chows.
You will need one loaf of fresh white bread for two people.
Cut the bread in half and remove the soft center. Leave the crust around all the edges quite thick – about 1 inch thick all around should be fine. Use your hands to gently compress the inside of the bread to create a sort of “cup”. Pour your hot curry into each bread cup and fill to the top.
Eat and enjoy!
- If you cannot find all of the listed spices or would rather take the easiest route – buy a commercial curry powder. These powders are actually mixes of spices and can range from mild to hot to suit any palate.
- Use the soft center of the bread to dip into the curry and eat it.