It is a known fact that emotional health is very important to our wellbeing and the quality of life we live because it affects every aspect of our lives. While some of us know this fact and work on improving and balancing it, others do not give it the importance it deserves or do not think how much it affects them. In this article I'm going to define emotional health, its effects and give some tips about how to achieve emotional wellbeing and enjoy life more.
What is emotional health?
It is the overall psychological well-being and the feeling of happiness in your life. The way you feel about yourself, what is your image of yourself, how you deal with your feelings, your thoughts, and how you control your reactions. It is also about your relationship with others, your ability to express yourself and your emotions appropriately. It is essential to the quality of life and productivity of individuals, communities and nations.
“We are stronger than we think. We have emotional, spiritual and even physical resources at our disposal. We may get knocked down, but we don’t have to stay down.”
â Steve Goodier
What is good emotional health?
Having no mental health problems does not guarantee emotional wellbeing. There are certain positive characteristics that could indicate if you're emotionally healthy or not, some of these characteristics are:
- Feeling good about yourself, and the world around you.
- Having a sense of contentment.
- Having control over your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- You have the ability to deal with stress and solve problems without loosing your zest for living.
- You have the flexibility and the ability to adapt to change easier than others who are not emotionally well.
- You enjoy good relationships with your family, friends, coworkers, and the whole world in general.
- You know how to balance these relationships and to balance all their roles in your life. We all need to be sociable sometimes, while at other times we need to spend time alone or with someone close to us, balance is important.
- The ability to enjoy life and plan for the future.
- You're a motivated person who knows what he/she wants in life, how to set his/her goals, and how to be successful.
- One more essential quality that connects with all the above which is having high self esteem, knowing your qualities and abilities, so when you get to approach a project you know you will succeed because you're able to do it and you deserve to succeed.
Tips on improving and balancing emotional wellbeing:
- Create balance in your life. Creating balance in all aspects of your life as well as between your mind and emotions helps to make your judgment better and your control stronger.
- Be honest with yourself and with others, and if sometimes you have an irritable feeling about something, it is ok to show it to be able to overcome it or to solve the problem with yourself or others.
- Learn how to control your emotions, feelings, and your behaviors towards yourself, others, and all life situations.
- Learn to express your emotions in appropriate ways
- Make sure that you always think calmly before you act and to understand the emotions behind your actions, this will make you act in a better way towards yourself and everything around you.
- Taking care of your physical health is an important factor to be emotionally healthy and to be able to enjoy your life more. And that includes sleeping well at the right times for sleep, eating balanced meals, having time for exercise and making your home or office environment as healthy as you can.
- Communicate more with people around you. Communication makes life easier, broadens your mind and does not leave a chance for feeling lonely.
- Be useful to others and try to help them as much as you can. This helps your self esteem and good relations with people which in turn help you to be emotionally healthy and balanced.
- Do the things you enjoy. If you're a writer, a musician, a doctor, or whatever it is you enjoy doing and you know how to do it well, just do it as much as you can and get your creativity out in the open.
Conclusion: Do all you can to be in the best possible form concerning your emotional health. It is not a luxury, it is a necessity for any lifestyle you choose to live.