The Healing wonders of the Kitchen
Certain things in the kitchen are not good for our bodies or the environment, but there are a few that actually increase our vitamin and mineral intake while healing the body.
At this point, it is common knowledge that over the counter and prescribe medications can be harmful and sometime deadly to US. However, given all the marketing hype and the billions of dollars spend by the pharmaceutical companies to protect their cash cow, at the expense of taxpayers, and the health and wellbeing of others, they were able to given a bad name and demonized natural alternative remedies.
Have you turned on your television lately, to see all the commercials from the drugs companies? Look at the fine prints or listen to the side effect.
“Example: - Have arthritis? Take our drug killebrex!
- May increase the chance of heart attack or stroke which can lead to death
- May also increase the chance of serious skin reactions
- Or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding ulcers, which may occur without warning and may cause death.
- You are at an increased risk of Stomach bleeding and Ulcer.
- Only you and your Doctor (my partner) can make that decision.”
Almost 90% of the ad was about how this drug can kill you.
The island of Dominica in the Caribbean, today boast of being among the countries of the world with the highest number of centenarians per capita. This is greatly due to the lifestyle and the kitchen pharmacy model of living.
Take a look of the following for example:
US National Cancer Institute reported that asparagus is the highest tested food containing glutathione, which is considered to be one of the body's most powerful ant-carcinogens and antioxidants.
Other possible USES
- Relieve edema
- Dissolve uric acid deposits, and cholesterol build up in blood vessels
- Revitalize the kidneys and bladder
- Strengthen kidney function
- Assist the female reproductive system to promote fertility
- Increases breast milk for nursing mothers
- Used for respiratory diseases
- Chronic fatigue
- Assist with weight loss and the list goes on
You can stir-fry asparagus in coconut oil or any of your favorite healthy oil. You can cook the asparagus and liquefy it in a blender to make a puree. Drink 2 to 3 time daily and store in the refrigerator. Asparagus is widely vailable in your local supermarket, greengrocers, and farmers markets.
- Colds, flu and coughs
- Menstrual pain
- High blood pressure
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Cardiovascular wellness
- Respiratory infections
- High cholesterol and many other uses
To prepare garlic tea, cutting 4 – 6 cloves into small pieces, boil for about 5 minutes let cool and drink as desired.
Garlic can be purchase at your local supermarket, greengrocers, and farmers markets. Garlic is also very easy to cultivate organically in the balcony and backyard gardens. You do not need much space.
Consult your herbalist or physician to make sure that you are not allergic.
- Preventing internal blood clots
- Fevers from flu and colds
- Treatment of motion sickness
- Menstrual discomfort
- Abdominal bloating
- Arthritis pain
- Ulcerative colitis
- Sore throats
- Heartburn and gas, ginger may also reduce the risk of heart attack.
Ginger is available in the form of ginger powder, dried ginger, tea bags, ginger oil and fresh ginger roots. In addition, it can be purchase at your local supermarket, greengrocers, farmers market and health food stores.
For ginger tea: put one tea bag or some dried ginger in a cup and fill it up with boiling water let sleep for 8-12 minutes or longer (Sweeten with pure organic honey if desired). When using fresh ginger root: clean the ginger root and cut it in thin slices, boil for 10 minutes. Drink it hot or cold which ever you prefer.
Apple cider vinegar
- Blood pressure
- Food poisoning
- Sore throat
- Weight loss
Apple cider vinegar can be applied directly on the skin and can be ingested.
The next time you enter the kitchen; do not see it as only a place for food and drink but as the Kitchen pharmacy, a place where food and medicine live in perfect harmony.