With its slew of casinos, theaters and restaurants, Las Vegas Nevada is a place where you can spend lavishly. But do not worry, there are also plenty of things to do for free (or almost free) for budget travelers.
- Bellagio Conservatory & Botanical gardens - A great point of interest that has flowers throughout the year. This indoor garden is so huge that 140 horticulturists work full time to maintain it and preserve it. These botanical gardens change themes five times a year and the topics are chosen to be in harmony with the season. The best part about this place is that it is totally FREE and open to the public 24/7. And yes, that's the madness of Las Vegas, a botanical garden in the blazing desert that is open all year round! Here's a glimpse of what you will see.
Credit: By ZooFari (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
- Admire the Fountains of Bellagio - The Bellagio continues to find the admiration of tourists every year, thanks to its impressive fountain show. It is a true aquatic musical show of 8 minutes duration. Do not hesitate to attend it repeatedly because the music and the choreography changes every evening. It is strongly advised that you arrive 15 minutes early if you do not want to block the view by a horde of tourists and their crackling flashes .
Credit: By chensiyuan (chensiyuan) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- Drink and Gamble Away to Glory If you do not mind forgetting the luxury of Las Vegas for a drink, the best way to drink cheap is to go to one of the old hotels and casinos in the city. Several hotels are known for their low prices of magaritas and beers, and some downtown casinos also break prices on drinks (so you can spend more on slots of course!). Many bars, clubs and casinos offer Happy Hours and low prices especially for women.
Credit: By Antoine Taveneaux (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- Discover Fremont Street lights - A resort on Fremont Street is the home to the largest giant screen in the world, also known by the name Viva Vision. With 12 million bulbs in the rooms and 550,000 watts of speakers, it is undoubtedly the best place for watching a movie. Apart from the various projections scheduled every night on Viva Vision screen, the Fremont Street Experience is a place constantly occupied with various shows and exhibitions by local artists.
Credit: By Allie_Caulfield [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- Get closer to wildlife - Flamingos, dolphins, alligators ... Yes, you read that right: this is Las Vegas where you can enjoy an extraordinary animals and varied fauna. You have to pay to see the dolphins at the Mirage and Mandalay Bay, but you can see for free the lions at the MGM Grand and flamingos at the Flamingo Las Vegas. These wild animals are an amazing attraction in the heart of the city, especially if you are traveling with children.
Credit: By O Palsson [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- Climb the Stratosphere Tower- Do it at day or night depending on the budget and time you can spare, since the cost of ticket rises and the queue becomes longer after sunset. In any case one must visit the tower.
Credit: By jonlclark (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jon-clark/2290094983/) [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- Visit downtown in Las Vegas to see the old signs like the Golden Nugget and Four Queens. In addition, the play of light on the ceiling of the street is fantastic. Museum of Neon is also located in this area.
Credit: By Pobrien301 (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Apart from the points of interest mentioned above, one major tourist attraction is the active night life of the city which has placed Las Vegas (US) amongst top party destinations in the world.
If you do visit Las Vegas, I hope this list of attractions makes your trip even more enjoyable.
If you would also like to read about things to do in New York City, you can here.
Also if you want to read more articles written by me, you can check out my list.