For many, the first time out on your own is a new and exciting experience! Other times you may have had financial dependence from your family, like when you were in college, but are now moving out of a house with roommates, or moving in with a potential soul mate. In any case, it is always a good idea to put some consideration not just into where you will be moving, but also what you will need! Nothing is more frustrating than going to do something the first night in your house, only to find you need to make yet another trip to the store to buy something else!
Below you will find a basic list of essentials that you should consider purchasing before you move out to make sure that you have everything you need. Keep in mind that there are plenty of places you can look to get them! Often times family will be more than happy to give you extra items they may have. You can also check your local thrift stores or make weekend trips around your neighborhood. Finally, you can also search for deals online, or at your local stores to get those last few things that will 'Really make the house come together'!
Often times it easier to break up the list by room, to make sure that you have all of your bases covered. The kitchen has surprisingly many more items than you might think to get, and is usually the place to start!
- Dishes: Cups / Bowels / Plates
- Silverware: Forks / Knives / Spoons
- Drinkware: Small & Large Glasses, Plastic cups
- Kitchen Knives
- Cutting Board
- At least 1 Skillet, 1 Pot, and 1 Pan
- Plastic or glass storage containers - with lids.
- Kitchen Cooking Utensils: Bottle Opener, Potato peeler, etc... (I would recommend purchasing these new, as the sets usually are rather inexpensive and come with all of the items you might need. Remember quality matters! You don't want your pizza cutter to shatter the first time y ou try it out on a frozen pizza! )
- Dish towels and hot pads
- Measuring cups and spoons
The bathroom is often the second most overlooked room in your new house, and unless you are moving everything from one to the other, you should take a look at this list!
- Toilet Tissue
- Soap and Soap Holder
- Shower Supplies (Soap, shampoo, conditioner)
- Bathroom Mats: Usually you can find in a set of three.
- Laundry Basket
- Shower Curtin, rod and rings
- Cleaning supplies (Toilet scrubber, and cleaning product)
- Toilet Plunger
- Fingernail Clippers
- Toothbrush - Don't forget to use it!
The bedroom and living room are pretty standard, so the list here is rather short. Often times the basic furniture you already have, so this small list is for those extra things you might want to consider having on hand.
- Extra hangers for clothes
- Plastic storage bins for under the bed or closet
- Night Lamp
- Alarm Clock
- Extra linens and blankets
- Inflatable matres (Your friends might need a place to sleep if they come to your housewarming party!)