Haworth village is very popular because it was the home to the Bronte sisters, famous authors who lived in the Yorkshire Dales. Nearby Haworth moor is meant to be the inspiration behind Emily Bronte’s novel Wuthering Heights. The railway station in Haworth was also used in the film “The Railway Children” and steam trains run through the village throughout the year.
Wensleydale is one of the best known dales with the Yorkshire Dales due to the world-famous cheese produced by the Wensleydale Creamery in Hawes. You can take a tour around the factory and sample some of the excellent cheeses. This make the perfect gift to take back to your friends and family at home.
Middleham Castle is also nearby and is a great place to enjoy a picnic. Pet owners will be pleased to hear dogs are welcome. It is said that the castle was the childhood home to Richard III.
Swaledale and Arkengarthdale
Popular though Wensleydale and Haworth are I would recommend Swaledale and Arkengarthdale as they are just as stunning but not as crowded with tourists. They still offer a vast array of things to see and do giving the perfect balance of seclusion and things to do.
- Enjoy home-made scones in the charm of tiny Swaledale villages such as Thwaite or Gunnerside.
- Visit tiny shops selling crafts, paintings and locally-knitted woollen jumpers.
- Children will love the farm animals and an organic ice-cream at Hazel Brow Farm!
- Pop over the hills from Low Row to Arkengarthdale, noticing the picturesque water splash, featured in the TV series “All Creatures Great and Small”.
- Go pony trekking at Arkle Moor Riding Centre.
- Treat yourself to lunch or a drink at the CB Inn, or the characterful Red Lion Inn at Langthwaite.
- Barnard Castle, with its magnificent fortress, and Bowes Museum are within easy driving distance.
- Richmond has a magnificent Norman castle, impressive Georgian architecture and the recently refurbished Georgian Theatre Royal, built in 1788.
- Book early for touring shows in local North Yorkshire village halls by the highly-regarded North Country Theatre.
Where to stay
You will find cottages that caterer for all sorts of tastes in the Dales - from charmingly restored barns for families to comfy retreats for couples. We recommend a Dales Holiday Cottage in Swaledale or Arkengarthdale as they are less busy than Wensleydale but just as pretty.
The Yorkshire Dales has many attractions across its 680 square miles so there's bound to be something to suit everyone in your party. So pack up your car and head to the Yorkshire Dales for a perfect holiday!