There are plenty of things you should consider when are in need of saving money on groceries. There are some simple things you can do, and some not so simple things, it really depends on how far you want to go. In today's world, it seems that everyone is a little strapped for cash from time to time. Food is a necessity, not a luxury, so saving money on groceries only makes perfect sense. From coupons to sales, and just about anything else you can imagine, there are some key things to consider when saving money on groceries.
Coupons can be a savior for those interested in saving money on groceries. In fact, savings of 40% or more are not that terribly uncommon. There are some places you can find these great ads, so you can start saving money on groceries.
1. Newspapers. Generally Sunday seems to be king when it comes to coupons, but you're not limited, there are plenty of other mid week deals out there. Newspapers, and more to the point, the coupons in them, will assist in saving money on groceries.
2. Online. There are plenty of free coupon online sites you can use to begin saving money on groceries. A simple internet search will get you started.
3. In store. There are plenty of ways to get coupons in store. Some will have them readily available near the products. In addition, many stores print coupons on the back of the sales receipt, making it one of the easier ways to start saving money on groceries.
Name brand or generic?
When you are interested in saving money on groceries, you will want to consider the lower cost of generic foods. For some, there will be certain items where generic just won't work. For me, those items are spaghetti sauces and soups. Plenty of others will disagree with me, claiming generic items, even the soups and spaghetti sauces, are just as good, or in some case better, than the name brands. If saving money on groceries is appealing, generics are a great way to go. In some cases, the generic brand may be cheaper than the name brand, even when using a coupon. Consider these key things..
1. Is the cost per ounce less? The cost per ounce, or other unit, will be listed on the shelf label. Some generics just have less product, not lower cost.
2. Will I like the product? If nobody will eat it, it's not really a bargain. You won't know until you try.
3. Is it still cheaper than the name brand item, even after the coupon?
You can start saving money on groceries when you consider bulk purchases. You will want to be careful with this one, but it can be effective. Some store are dedicated to bulk items, making it one of the easier methods for saving money on groceries. In fact, some claim to offer discounts of 40% or more when you purchase in bulk. Still, there are some things you should consider carefully.
1. Can I use it all before it expires? If not, it's no bargain.
2. Do I have space for the bulk items? If you don't you may want to explore other ways of saving money on groceries.
3. Is it really cheaper? Some are surprised to learn that bulk isn't always less. Compare the cost per ounce, or unit to determine if you're really saving money on groceries this way.
Multiple stores, multiple sales:
For some, the idea of shopping at several stores just isn't appealing. For others, it's one of the best ways for saving money on groceries. You can plan out a route, stopping at each store with the best sales for specific items. While this is much less convenient, it is a very good method for saving money on groceries. Consider this option when you go shopping, but don't get too caught up in pennies. Remember, driving costs money. Gas is expensive these days, so make sure you aren't spending more on gas than you are saving money on groceries.
Chest freezers and pantries:
Sometimes, just having the room to store food opens up the doors for saving money on groceries. Great sales on items, like meats, frozen foods, or canned goods can be used to the fullest when you have room for storage. If you have storage space, you can take advantage of great deals every single time you go out food shopping. It's one of the ways for saving money on groceries that really works..
Out of the ordinary stores:
There are several places where saving money on groceries can happen, it's not just limited to the big national chains. Dollar store and large department stores will often have food items for sale. Although you'll have less in terms of selection, you'll have more options for saving money on groceries. Some stores specialize in selling out of date items, so if this doesn't appeal to you, check the expiration date carefully before you make your purchase to avoid this situation.
Make a list and a plan:
You need to know how much to buy to get by until the next time you go shopping. When you are interested in saving money on groceries, you will want to eliminate the need to pick up odds and ends at the convenience store. This will cost you way more, so plan carefully. A good, detailed list of your needs will assist in saving money on groceries.
Planning out a menu will help with saving money on groceries. This will allow you to shop for specific needs and reduce the need to pick up the odds and ends at the convenience store. Saving money on groceries doesn't have to be hard.
As you can see, there really are several methods for saving money on groceries. While some involve some work, some are quite easy. Saving money on groceries is most effective when you use several of the methods listed. You can be a thrifty shopper with a fatter wallet in no time.