Discovering mold and mildew in your home is never a pleasant surprise but you can reduce or eliminate the problem quickly with these tips for cleaning mold and mildew. Act quickly when you find these home invaders because they will spread if left untreated and could cause significant damage to your drywall and floors.

Cleaning mold and mildew can be dangerous if the mold is toxic. Mold releases spores that are not visible but they float through the air and can be inhaled. While most mold spores will only irritate your allergies or make you a bit sniffly, toxic mold spores can cause serious illness and even death. This is why you should always wear a respirator mask when you are cleaning mold and mildew. As you scrub away at the mold, more spores are released so don't take your chances and just hope that the mold is not toxic.

Should you use harsh chemicals when cleaning mold and mildew? That is a big question and one that many people are torn on. The answer is that it depends on what you think is best. You can use products such as bleach or ammonia but you must make sure not to use both of these substances as they can create dangerous fumes when combined. Check the label of all products you use when cleaning mold and mildew and if one product contains bleach, avoid any products containing ammonia and vice versa.

Now onto natural products used for cleaning mold and mildew. Some people swear by plain old white vinegar and others like apple cider vinegar. When sticking to more natural products, start by scrubbing away any visible mold or mildew with a scrub brush and some soapy water. Rinse it away and then wipe the area down with your choice of vinegar to discourage new growth.

Sometimes cleaning mold and mildew just isn't an option. If you find these substances on a porous surface such as carpet or drywall, it's best to just remove the affected material and clean mold and mildew underneath the material, if necessary. Replace the contaminated drywall or carpet with fresh new materials to eliminate the problem. Hard surfaces such as tiles or counters are much easier to deal with when it comes to cleaning mold and mildew. If you find extensive damage from the mold in your home due to flooding or a perhaps a leak, contact a professional to determine the extent of the damage and avoid the need for costly repairs months or even years later.