Eggs are one of the most nutritional foods that can be found easily in any super markets all over the world. They are available year round in the markets.
There are several health benefits for consuming eggs. They are rich source of high quality proteins and amino acids needed for our health. Eggs are also helpful in preventing cataract. Eggs are rich in Vitamin D which makes our bone strong and healthy. The yolk contains most of the nutrients in an egg. Eggs are rich in cholesterol and jam packed with full of important nutrients especially the fat-soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids.
Eggs are used in different ways such as raw, half-boiled, fully cooked or baked. Experts often recommend to avoid raw eggs for consumption because of the risks involved. Raw eggs and soft-cooked eggs may carry Salmonella bacteria, but hard-boiled, scrambled, or poached eggs do not carry this risk.
Some useful tips
- Do not wash the eggs while storing in the refrigerator as this can remove their protective coating.
- Egg white stiffens better if you beat in a pinch of salt and a few drops of lemon juice.
- To prevent breaking the boiled eggs, use the knife dipped in the boiled water.
- Add a little salt to the water before boiling eggs to make shelling them easy.
- By accident if an egg is cracked, it can be boiled by wrapping it in aluminium foil.
- To prevent omelets sticking to the vessel, apply 2 drops of vinegar to the pan before pouring the egg mixture.
- To cut a boiled egg in neat rings, hold a clean strand of thread straight and pass it through the egg.
- While boiling eggs, add a bit of white vinegar to the water you are boiling your eggs. The shells won't crack.
- To check whether the eggs are fresh, immerse them in a pan of cool, salted water. If they are fresh they will sink and rise to the surface if they are old.
- While poaching eggs, add a few drops of vinegar to the water to set quickly.
- To beat egg whites stiff, rub the cut side of half a lemon, round the inside of the mixing bowl before putting in the egg whites. When you beat the egg whites stiff, the foam will be established.
- To make poached egg, add two-three drops of lemon juice in the boiling water. The white and egg will not get separated.
- A small funnel is a handy utensil for separating the egg white.
- Add a pinch of salt to the white of egg before beating. They will whip up quickly.