Bane is a bulky villain. He has incredible strength and is known for his ruthless fighting tactics. He is also known as the only villain in Gotham City to have broke Batman's back.
Tom Hardy had to put on quite a bit of muscle to look convincing as Bane. So the main goal here is to build muscle mass. The fastest and easiest way to do that is simply by lifting weights. Follow these guidelines to make a solid workout routine that will have you packing on the muscle in no time.
- Start with a 3 day full body split routine. I always recommend this to guys who are starting out and want to build muscle quickly. If you want to get bulky muscles like Bane then gaining muscle should be your goal. Fat loss is not that important since it is hard to build muscle while keeping your body fat low. You would really have to watch your diet and limit junk food which you can do afteryou have gained enough muscle.
- Only perform compound exercises. You get a bigger bang for your buck with exercises like squats. Focus your workouts around the big 3 (bench presses, squats, and deadlifts) since these are known for building muscle quickly. Other great compound movements are rows, pull ups, hang cleans, shoulder presses, and lunges.
- Work your lower body as well as your upper body. People who get into fitness usually fall into the trap of only working their "mirror muscles" meaning muscles they only see in the mirror. Rather than just focusing your efforts on chest and arms you should work your lower body so that your body is in proportion. This will actually help your body balance out and make your arms and chest stronger as well.
- Don't forget to have very good form. If you are not going to perform the exercise correctly then there is no point in performing it at all. Start off with a lighter weight than you may think you can handle. This will teach you how to do proper form. Take your time with raising and lowering the weight during the exercise.
- Don't go to failure. The thing about going to failure is that it weakens your muscles. Rather than trying to get that last rep in your should only be progressing by adding a little weight to the barbell every workout or every other workout for fast results.
- Add weight every week. As a rule of thumb I would recommend adding 5 pounds to each lift every week. You may even find that to be too easy for you which is fine. You know your fitness and body best so challenge yourself accordingly.
- Don't stick to the same old exercise. There are variations for every one of the exercises I listed above. Don't just do the same old barbell squats 3 days a week. Do front squats for your second workout and then switch to split squats or lunges the next workout. Rather than bent over rows you can also perform renegade rows.
- Limit cardio. You should not be too focused on cardio. Tom Hardy did some training with fighting on top of lifting heavy weights. But he limited his cardio to not interfere with building muscle. You can do just fine with your weight lifting routine.
- Eat a LOT of food. You are building muscle mass here to get the Tom Hardy Bane physique. So you need to eat a lot to gain weight and give your muscles plenty of nutrients so they can grow and recover quickly.
- Remember, protein is the building blocks for muscle. Get lots of protein from foods like peanut butter, lean meats, and milk. You need to reach the default of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
Tom Hardy Working Out
What if You Would Rather Get Lean?
I think that most people who want to get into shape would rather not bulk up like a body builder. Getting ripped and increasing muscle definition seem to be the more common goal among most fitness freaks like me.
In order to get lean I don't recommend you gorge yourself and only do a mass building routine. I am pretty sure women find lean guys sexier than the bulky look.
So to achieve the physical attraction you want I recommend focusing more on building some muscle but mainly getting a low body fat percentage. Look more guidelines. These are guidelines for those who want to get ripped more like how Tom Hardy looked like in Warrior rather than as Bane in Dark Knight Rises.
- Keep doing strength training. A common misconception is that people will often drop their heavy lifting routine because they feel that it will keep them bulky rather than looking lean. If you want muscle definition then you should keep on a routine like the 5 by 5 routine. The only difference is that you will not be building too much muscle so don't expect to increase the weight each week. You should instead expect to keep using the same weight week after week for each exercise. You still may build muscle in the beginning if you have not worked out in a while. Also strength training is important so that you do not lose your muscle while getting ripped. Perform 2 or 3 resistance training sessions a week to ensure you keep your hard earned muscle.
- Focus more on cardio. Other than diet and nutrition cardio is also important for fat loss. Getting into something like circuit training or sprint intervals will have your body dropping fat in no time.
- Diet is what will really change. How many calories your body takes in is what will always determine how much fat you lose. You should stricten up your diet. Get more healthy natural foods in like lean meats, fruit, vegetables, beans, and nuts. Lighten up on dairy, starches, and of course junk food. I would recommedn one cheat meal a week. Only have carbs or dairy after a workout. A great post workout meal is a bowl of oatmeal with a cup of milk.
- Intermittent fasting is key to rapid fat loss. This refers to not eating for one or two 24 periods a week. This will NOT cause muscle loss. Just pick one or two days out of the week to not eat all day long. This will stimulate your HGH which is your fat burning hormone. This will also reduce the amount of weekly calories you have so that means less calories in.
- Drink your water. Water leads to more fat loss. I recommend about a gallon of water every day.