1. Hotel Alte Post. If you're looking for a hotel that's right in the center of Oberammergau, look no further than Hotel Alte Post. With a friendly, helpful staff, you'll feel right at home in o
ne of their rooms overlooking the beautiful village of Oberammergua and the other scenery they have to offer. Hotel Alte Post has very reasonable rates, and another perk to the hotel is that they offer their guests free parking. When there, make sure and dine at their restaurant to enjoy some of their delicious dishes. If you're considering staying at Hotel Alte Post, do make sure and reserve your room in advance as the rooms will likely fill up quickly.
Prices on their rooms vary on the season, but on average are around $142.
2. Hotel Turmwirt. With a rustic, charming decor, Hotel Turmwirt offers their guest a beautiful view of the lovely hills in Oberammergau. Their rooms have a very classic, clean look to them, and you feel right at home in this family friendly hotel. Their rooms also offer wireless internet and are pet friendly. Other perks include bicycle rental, multilingual staff, and activities for children. The only cons that have been found on this hotel are that they confuse what type of room you have booked, so make sure and explain in advance exactly what type of room you'll be needing and if possible, get a copy of your reservation so you can show it to the front desk. Other than this, this hotel is very cozy and family friendly. Room prices are on average $155.
3. ParkHotel Sonnenhof. Located right on the edge of town, ParkHotel Sonnenhof is known for it's exceptional view of the village. This hotel is perfect for families who have smaller children, especially under the age of five. ParkHotel Sonnenhof features a playroom for children with lots of toys and other activities to keep the kids occupied. If you're there in a warmer season, they feature a nice outdoor play area as well. For a room at this hotel, expect to pay a little over $150.
4. Hotel Schilcherhof. The best perk about staying at Hotel Schilcherhof is the price. They don't make you sacrifice quality for a low price. For under $100 a night, you can stay at Hotel Schilcherhof. They offer a nice buffet breakfast for their guests, and are just a short walk to town where you can hike along the beautiful scenery or do some shopping.
5. Hotel Friedenshohe. This hotel is nestled in Oberammergau with a stunning background of mountains. This hotel has plenty to offer it's guest including hiking their lovely grounds, bicycling, tennis or play a round of golf. This hotel features two floors with room decorated in a simple taste. Hotel Friedenshohe also has their own restaurant, so make sure and sample some of their local cuisine. Their prices are also affordable around $105 a night.
6. Hotel Garni Antonia. Hotel Garni Antonia is a family-run hotel that is located in the middle of the village of Oberammergau. This modern hotel is a small walk to town, cl
ose by to the railway station and near the middle of town so you are able to take advantage of the wonderful shopping and restaurants in Oberammergau. Hotel Garni Antonia's rooms all feature a balcony so you can sit back and enjoy the beautiful scenery featured all around you. The decor of the rooms is simplistic and homey. This hotel also offers a free breakfast, with a nice selection of cereals, meats and cheeses. Prices for their rooms are reasonable being $115 a night.
7. Hotel Wittelsbach. Many guests come back to Hotel Wittelsbach because of the extra features they provide for their guests. The rooms have a modern look, and are very clean. They also have an elevator which is great after you've spent a day hiking or bicycling around the village. Hotel Wittelsbach also offers their guest the opportunity to use a laundry facility. The hotel is also located right next to a convenience store. They also provide their guests with free breakfast in the mornings. If you like, you can also request a room with a balcony so you can enjoy a view of the town. This hotel is perfect for those travelers who want a nice, clean room and don't' expect any frills. Prices for these rooms are around $120.
8. Feirienhaus Fux. Feirienhaus Fux is a great hotel for families with their large rooms, and family friendly surroundings. This hotel also offers special apartment style rooms, which is great for larger families, or people who are going to be in town for more than a day or two. Or for a more luxurious stay, book one of their beautiful suites. The decor is contemporary and clean. For those guests who request them, you are also able to choose a room with a balcony. Another perk is they offer their guest free parking. Room prices are $125 per night.
9. Hotel Maximilian. The Hotel Maximilian is perfect hotel for guests who want to experience a more elegant, luxurious stay in the village of Oberammergau. This hotel offers an in-house brewery and a beer garden for their guests. This hotel also offers a spa and massage facility for those guests who are interested. Hotel Maximilian also features the restaurant St. Benoit, that pampers diners with special cuisine. The rooms speak for themselves about the elegant atmosphere that this hotel offers. In your room you will find lots of space to stretch out with modern decor. Or soak away in one their spacious tubs in the elegant bathroom. These rooms come equipped with flat screen TV's, CD players, and for corner rooms, two balconies to enjoy the beautiful view. The staff is very friendly, and most guests are quite willingly to come back and pay the extra to stay at such a lovely hotel. The only downsize to this hotel is that it sits close to the Bell Tower which rings at 6 A.M. Prices for this hotel are $250, but previous guests will agree, they make it worth every penny.
10. Hotel Arnika. Hotel Arnika is a very charming chalet-style hotel in Oberammergau. This hotel has a bar, a restaurant, sound-proofed rooms, and designated smoking areas available for their guests. Hotel Arnika also has special services like ironing services, a gift shop, breakfast in your room, and bridal suite. They also offer packed lunches which are very convenient if you plan to go hiking or cycling around the village. Hotel Arnika also offers free wireless internet throughout the whole hotel. This hotel features two restaurants that include both local and international dishes. Prices for these rooms are very reasonable, and are on average $108 a night.
All of these Oberammergau hotels make an excellent base of operations for visiting Oberammergau and seeing the the 2010 Passion Play. If you can afford the price of the Hotel Maximilian, that would be my first choice. My second pick would be Hotel Alte Post because we have enjoyed staying here is the past. But, you should be comfortable and happy picking any of these Oberammergau hotels.