Saving On Wedding Cakes
With Spring and Summer coming up, the wedding season is upon us and that means it's time to save money on cheap wedding cakes.
I remember when my wife and I were putting our wedding together. We had to decide if we were going to let our parents pay and organize our wedding.
It was a hard decision because both of our mom's are very stuck in their ways. Also, they were both extremely busy so we decided to do it ourselves.
The biggest thing that we learned; There is a cheap way and an expensive way to do a wedding. Looking back, I am glad we went through that experience. Of course I am glad I got married, but I mean I am glad my wife and I decided to do the wedding ourselves.
We saved so much money and got to make all the decisions as a couple.
It really brought us closer together. As we went through all the different costs and decisions, one of the toughest aspects for us was finding cheap wedding cakes. It was easy to find cake shops, but many of them were so expensive.
So, I decided to put a list together a list. Here is some things you can do to save money on your wedding cake.
1. Buy Your Wedding Cake At The Grocery Store - Don't think that the only place to get a wedding cake is at an expensive wedding cake store. The truth is you can get a great cake at your local grocery store. The difference is quite amazing. Go to your local grocery store and check out the prices and designs. I promise it will impress you.
2. Try Small Cakes/Cupcakes - Small Cakes and Cupcakes are all the craze these days. Who doesn't like cupcakes. Not only can you save money, but you can make it a whole activity for you and your spouse or even for your bachelorette party. Check this recipe book out Decorated Cup Cakes (Twenty to Make)This is my affiliate link if you want to get this book.
3. Make The Cake Yourself - The easiest way to save money on your wedding cake is to make it yourself. You could even call your brides made or best friend to help you.
4. Cut Out The Bells And Whistles - When we were looking for cheap wedding cakes, the one thing that kept throwing us off was the accessories. Yes, there are accessories for wedding cakes. And they cost money. You can get a nice cake for cheap without all the bells and whistles that make them to expensive.
5. Frosting - What ever you do, don't get the smooth glaze. Believe it or not, the way they make and put on your frosting is directly proportionate to your cost. Go with a simple frosting and it will be cheaper.
6. Go With A Single Layer - Most wedding cakes we see are 3 or 4 layers. A quick way to find a cheap cake is to only have one layer. You can still have a beautiful cake without having 3 tiers.
7. Find A Local Baker - Sometimes if you find a local baker that doesn't sell cakes they may be willing to do one for you for a lot less than a actual cake shop.
8. Ask For An Early Gift - This is a great way to not pay for your cake at all. A lot of times people don't know what to buy you and this can be a great way to help them.
** When you send out your invitations, the ones that you send to your family, put a little note with the invitation asking if anyone would be interested in contributing to your cake.
You can add a little suggestion line for their ideas for the cake.
An alternative can make you feel better if you are embarrassed from asking and makes people feel less bad if they don't want to give for your cake.
P.S. Include and envelope with a stamp on it so all they have to do is write a check and everything else is done for them.
9. Cut Back On Something Else- A great way to find cheap wedding cakes is to have extra money to pay for one. By cutting back on other things in your wedding, you can actually have more money left for your cake.
This is an affiliate link. This book is actually really helpful. There are a lot of tips that you can use to help with saving money on your wedding.
10. Catering Schools - Check local catering schools for students who are learning about making cakes. Just ask one or get permission to ask a class if anyone is interested in making a cake. You may even get it for free. Or offer a prize for the best one. Maybe a $50 or $100 dollar gift certificate for the winner.
*Use a sheet cake from the grocer. You can get one for very cheap*
I hope this helps. If you have any Cheap Wedding Cakes ideas please leave them below.