10 Interesting Facts About Worms
Let's face it, worms are definitely not the cutest or most popular animal in the world, but they do provide many benefits to the environment that most animals are incapable of providing. Worms treat waste, help fight pollution and keep our gardens clean. Not bad in a days work! Below is a list of the top 10 most interesting facts that you may not know about worms.
1.When earthworms tunnel through the ground they bring air into the soil. This allows plant roots to
grow more easily.
2. Earthworms will eat almost anything that was once alive, but is now dead.
3. If a worm is cut in half, only the part of the body that has the head will live.
4. More than 3,000 species of earthworm exist in the world.
5. A worm is a "hermaphrodite" since it has both male and female reproductive organs.
6. Worms cannot hear or see.
7. Worms can have between 1-5 pairs of hearts.
8. The earthworm does not have lungs and instead uses its skin to breath.
9. Worms are cold blooded and their body is made up of 80% water.
10. Worms typically live for about 3-4 years, however there have been some cases where they have lived for 15 years.