Acid reflux is caused by the inflammation of the esophagus which is experienced when whatever is in the stomach has been regurgitated. Heartburn is the most common symptom of acid reflux. Acid reflux is also referred to as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), Reflux or Reflux Esophagitis.
It is currently treated by using acid suppressants endorsed by drug companies. However, there are other natural cures for acid reflux which sufferers can experiment with. Natural cures are great as they have limited side effects.
Other than being careful about regular food allergies and the warning that too much of anything isn't good for you, you can try these recommendations without hesitation towards them harming your body.
1. Drinking milk is a widely accepted recommendation for calming the symptoms of acid reflux immediately. The debate is out however on whether to use whole milk or skim milk but try both and note the results. Milk is great for mildly coating the stomach and providing relief from the acid associated with acid reflux.
2. Drinking approximately a gallon of filtered water everyday will normalize the pH in your stomach and dilute the acid. You are to drink sufficient water to keep your body adequately hydrated but if you are suffering from acid reflux then you should try drinking an additional amount in order to flush the stomach of the content which is usually regurgitated.
3. Sipping on chamomile tea has worked for some people as a natural cure for acid reflux. Its soothing properties have many benefits other than that of a digestive aid. For example, it's used as a painkiller and as a sleep aid. It is however, not recommended to those who are allergic to the ragweed family. For medicinal purposes, use pure chamomile as opposed to those teas mixed with other flavors and ingredients.
4. Chewing on a clove of garlic, while, may not do good things for your breath, does wonders for your stomach. Garlic kills pathogenic organisms in the stomach that cannot be killed by hydrochloric acid. Always use fresh ginger and chew or crush it before swallowing. You can also include it in your juice. Swallowing the cloves whole will not activate garlic's healing properties.
5. Aloe vera is a very popular natural cure for acid reflux. You can try drinking the juice but the consistency and taste takes some getting used to. You can try mixing it with non-acidic fruit juice to improve the taste. If the juice is too much to handle then you can take aloe vera latex 2 to 3 times per day coupled by a large glass of water. Aloe vera juice can be used even after acid reflux has disappeared as you can still feel discomfort from past esophageal erosion.
I recommend natural cures for almost anything especially a simple case such as acid reflux. Drugs such as such as Prilosec and Pevacid can significantly reduce the amount of hydrochloric acid in your stomach which interferes with your bodies ability to properly digest food which heightens the risk of nearly every other chronic degenerative disease.
The decrease in stomach acid also lessens the defense mechanism against food-borne infections and raises the chances of getting food poisoning. I therefore recommend trying natural remedies first before turning to drugs.
You can find more information on these and other natural cures first especially, if you have to use them daily. As previously stated, allergies need to be considered before any treatment begins.