Maybe... If You Can Find One!
The HP TouchPad is a great piece of technology that is quickly moving up the ranks as the must-have item for the new school year, if you can find one! The question is whether this device is enough to be the sole computing tool for a college student going back to school. Here are a number of considerations to weigh before you make your choice for the Hewlett-Packard TouchPad.
The TouchPad’s College Usefulness
- Compact design and easily portable (7.48 x .54 x 9.45 in), the TouchPad weighs under two pounds. Throw this in a backpack easily!
- Keep track of calendars and contacts (including all the new people you meet in class and in the dorms.) College students can easily keep track of deadlines for term papers, final exams, and presentation dates, and more.
- SMS texting with extra paid data service - although most have this on their cell or smart phones.
- WI-FI, easy access to browse the web (including Adobe flash-enabled pages - something the iPad ignores); easily search google, update Facebook, and generally great for student research - this is great becasue many colleges are starting to offer campus-wide WIFI internet access (some with extra VPN security).
- Integrated email; useful for access to college/university and personal accounts with Microsoft exchange push technology.
- Work with Microsoft Office files; collaborate with Google Docs; good for term papers and homework; this becomes easy if you can email the completed version of your term papers or assignments directly to your professor.
- With the cutting-edge graphics processor and on-board controls (accelerometer and more), this device is great for gaming.
- HP is proud of the multi-tasking abilities of this machine, multiple apps at once!
- Video calling - so you can stay in touch with family and friends back home; or your new friends across campus.
- One year limited hardware warranty.
The HP TouchPad is reasonably priced, if you can find one, even if you add accessories like the charging dock, the protective case, and the wireless keyboard (did you say bluetooth!). If you do this, the HP TouchPad will be the modern tool that could meet most, if not all, of your college student needs. If you can't get your hands on one of these, then perhaps you'll have to take a look at the amazing Apple iPad 2, the equally impressive Samsung Galaxy Tab, or a state-of-the-art Android device. The age of tablets for the college student (and faculty!) has arrived! Good luck tracking one down!