Here's a yummy recipe that's healthy and filling at the same time! And the awesome thing is... kids love it!
Tuna stuffed baked zucchini are easy to do and healthy to eat as part of a balanced diet. They give you the energy you need while providing all those vitamins from the zucchini and healthy oils from the tuna that keep you going the whole day!
What you will need:
For 4 people:
- 6 large zucchini
- 1 tuna can (in water or oil), drained
- 2 onions
- 200g mozzarella cheese (or parmesan for a stronger flavor)
- 1 pint (0.5L) of milk
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 3 tablespoons of oil (olive oil is best) for the filling
- 1 tablespoon of oil or a know of butter for the béchamel
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: boiling and preparing the zucchini
- Slice the zucchini in halves (longitudinally)
- Put water in a large pot and add the zucchini when boiling
- Check tenderness with a fork/knife and remove when ready; drain well
- Carve the pulp of the zucchini, making sure you remove only the soft insides that have seeds (otherwise the filling will leak through the bottom, which you don’t really want)
- Save the pulp for later in a drainer
Step 2: preparing the filling
- Remove the skin of the onions and finely dice them
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onions for 20min, stirring frequently
- Add the zucchini pulp and the tuna in small chunks, mix thoroughly
- Save for later in a bowl
Step 3: preparing the béchamel
- Heat the oil/butter in the same pan you used before (so that you collect the juices!) and add the flour, making sure you stir quickly to avoid lumps.
- Pour the milk into the mix and keep stirring until you see a change in consistency (at this point you won’t be able to stop until the béchamel is ready)
- Incorporate the filling mix and stir well
Step 4: baking the whole!
- Preheat the over at 340ºF/200ºC
- Place the sliced zucchini in an oven tray
- Divide the filling among the zucchini halves, making sure that it doesn’t overflow
- Sprinkle the cheese over each of them
- Oven-bake for 5min, then grill for 2min or until golden
Serve immediately. Bon appétit!