1. Hawaii is the 50th and most recent state to become part of the United States of America, entering the union on August 21st 1959.
2. It is the only state in the USA that is made up entirely of islands. As well as the Big Island of Hawaii, there is Niihau, Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Lanai, Kahoolawe, and Molokai, making 8 main islands in total.
3. As its name suggests, the BigIsland is the largest of the chain, with an area of 4,038 square miles, making it twice as big as all the other Hawaiian Islands put together.
5. Hawaii was first settled between A.D. 300 and 600 by Polynesians from other Pacific islands.
6. British sea captain, James Cook visited the islands in 1778. He called them the Sandwich Islands.
7. The state capital is Honolulu on the island of Oahu. Honolulu is also the largest city with a population of 387,170 people.
8. The official state song is "Hawaii Ponoi" (Hawaii's Own).
9. At 13,796 feet (4,205 m) above sea level, Mauna Kea is the state’s highest peak.
10. One of the most interesting facts about Hawaii is that it has the only royal palace in the United States: Iolani Palace is in downtown Honolulu and two monarchs governed from there.
11. The flag of Hawaii consists of the union flag of the United Kingdom in the top left quarter, along with eight red, white and blue horizontal stripes representing the eight main islands.
12. It is the only state in the USA that grows coffee.
13. Hawaii’s nickname is “Aloha State”.
14. The population of the island group was estimated to be 1,374,810 in 2011.
16. The state flower of the state is the Yellow Hibiscus, known as the Pua aloalo in Hawaiian.
17. The state has one of the world’s most active volcanoes: Kilauea.
18. The Hawaiian alphabet has only 12 letters in it: A, E, H, I, K, L, M, N, O, P, U, and W.
19. For income the state relies mainly upon tourism, plus the export of foods such as bananas, macadamia nuts, and pineapples.
20. Because of continuing volcanic eruptions, it is the only U.S. state whose land area is increasing in size.
I hope that you enjoyed reading my top 20 facts about Hawaii, as much as I enjoyed posting them!