Acne treatment that works
Choosing the right medication to get rid of your pimples
The treatment of acne has truly been revolutionized by the medicine known as Isotretinoin (Accutane). Isotretinoin to treat acne has truly been a revelation. Similar to vitamin A, the family of medicines known as retinoids is where Accutane belongs. The DNA transcription is altered by the work performed by Accutane which is similar to other retinoids. The output and size of sebaceous glands are decreased by this affect. Also made much less sticky are those cells sloughed into the sebaceous glands and this results in them being less able to form whiteheads (cornedones) and blackheads. In addition, both on the skin surface as well as in the sebaceous gland, the number of bacteria is greatly reduced.
Accutane And Who Exactly Tests It ?
When full courses of various different oral antibiotics have been tried without any success dealing with pustular acne, Accutane is generally used as the next option. The actual trend these days, particularly if there is any scarring involved, is to earlier in the course of treatment use Accutane. In addition to it's use for severe cases of acne, Accutane has enjoyed varying degrees of success dealing with lichen planus, lupus, psoriasis and other such disorders.
Beginning Therapy With Accutane
There are in fact a number of different dosing suggestions that are offered but the most popular one seems to be to begin with a dosage that is low and then over the next few weeks increase it. It is usually somewhere between sixteen and twenty weeks which is the length of the course of treatment. One should not be shocked if at the start of the Accutane regimen, the condition appears to worsen a bit as has happened with a number of different participants. What sometimes occurs is that the lesions become more painful or get redder rather than increase in number. This is certainly not a reason to cease using Accutane as it will only last for a short period of time and is considered to be perfectly normal.
Accutane And Birth Defects
A controversial topic being discussed has been the side effects of Accutane. It's teratogenicity has been its most serious and noticeable side effect. What this means is that women who are pregnant risk the Accutane causing birth defects if they take it. Among the Accutane caused birth defects that are caused include thymus gland abnormalities, cardiac, facial and central nervous system issues. A woman can get pregnant without any worries after completing one month of Accutane acne treatments. It does not complicate the process of a woman trying to get pregnant and will not at all affect fertility. Two forms of both control before Accutane treatment begins and a continuation post treatment of at least a month is recommended for those women considering taking Accutane.
Accutane And Possible Side Effects
The following serious side effects are associated with Accutane at times:
* A condition known as pseudotumor cerebri is possibly recognized by persistent headaches associated with blurred vision, vomiting and nausea.
* There is an increase in the incidence of suicide attempts, psychosis and depression which after discontinuing the drug does go back to normal.
* Particularly with those people who wear contact lenses, ulcerations of the cornea, itchy eyes and red eyes can all be a problem caused primarily by the decrease in the production of tears.
* A cause of night blindness occurs when the ability to distinguish between shades of white and black is lessened.
* Abdominal pain, hepatitis and jaundice might be caused by the elevation of liver enzymes.
Accutane And Other Possible Side Effects
Some of these side effects that are certainly less serious but also can be annoying caused by Accutane therapy include:
* The consistent need of moisturizers to deal with dry skin
* Lips that are dry and cracking
* Pruritis or as it is more commonly known, itchy skin
* Hair that is thinning
* Soles and palms excessively peeling
* Pains and aches of the muscles which with any physical activity are even worse
* The sun and an increased sensitivity to it
* Triglyceride levels that are elevated
* Accutane subject to lab monitoring
Before beginning any therapy involving Accutane everyone should have a complete blood count done and also carefully check liver functions and triglyceride levels. A pregnancy test is also suggested for all women.
Finishing Therapy With Isotretinoin (Accutane)
The good news is that 85% of all patients have achieved positive results after just 16 weeks of therapy.
A Few Final Thoughts Regarding Accutane
With careful monitoring and used in a prudent manner, Accutane can truly help to change the life of a young person using it and get rid of acne eventually.