When you are looking to have a great breakfast, but are feeling held back by being vegan than one option is the vegan breakfast casserole. Most of these take ideas from breakfast casserole and go from there. You can get creative once you get a handle on some great ideas.
Most people who think of breakfast casseroles think of some sort of bread casserole. Bread is chopped up and eggs and milk are put into it. It's all baked and the bread turns yummy and eggy. Well, without eggs in your life, it can feel like there is no way to enjoy such a dish again. However, with a bit of creativity and some knowledge, you can enjoy bread casseroles.
- Eggs. To make the eggs you will want to use tofu. It really is that simple. You can choose to use silken tofu in a box or something fresh from the store. However, the firm tofu works best. You will either mash it (for more texture) or blend it for a more beaten texture.
- Milk. To the eggs you should add a non-dairy milk of your choice. Often soy or almond make good choices because of the fats in them that make for a creamy texture. However, you can also use rice milk.
- Meat. There are a lot of meat alternatives. You can find sausage in a number of different varieties or you can choose bacon. You can even decide to skip the meat all together. This is a great option if you haven't found one you like.
- Bread. There are a lot of breads out there that don't use milk or eggs. Just read the labels. It's healthiest if you choose a bread that has whole grains in it.
- Vegetables. You can add a lot of yummy vegetables to your meal. Onions, green onions, leaks, bell peppers (any color), celery, carrots, spinach, kale, and tomatoes. However, you don't have to stick with these veggies and there are a lot of options out there. It's best if you saute your veggies ahead of time.
- Spices and Herbs. You can add any spices or herbs that you want. Both fresh and dried can be tasty. Salt and pepper can also make for a great addition.
- Cheese. You can also use a variety of cheeses to make a delicious meal. Nutritional yeast can give you a cheesy flavor without the cheese. You can also use soy and rice based cheeses including cheddar flavored, Parmesan flavored, or any other flavors of your choice.
- Mushrooms. There are a lot of different mushrooms out there that can be added to your meal. These can add flavor, texture, and depth to your dish. It can also give it a meatier feel even without meat or meat substitute.
You will want place the bread and veggies into the pan and mix together the tofu, milk, and herbs and spices. Then let the bread soak it in. Often it can be helpful to refrigerate it over night. Take it out and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. It will take about 40 minutes to an hour depending on the ingredients, the size of the pan, and the depth of the dish.
Veggie casseroles are done in a similar way only they don't have bread as a base. In many cases there are more vegetables to take the place of the bread. You will want to make it the same way as with the bread.
Another option is to do it with potatoes. You can use hash browns, tater tots, American fries, or fried potatoes. You will want to cook up the potatoes ahead of time until they are nice and crispy. Then you can mix in any of the other ingredients that you like. Bread can still be used if you want. You can layer it with the bread, potatoes, and vegetables. Then add your tofu mix.
Many breakfast casseroles are salty and savory. Years of bacon and eggs have made a savory breakfast casserole a favorite. However, it isn't the only option. You can choose a baked oatmeal casserole for breakfast. To make it you will want to make oatmeal on the stove. Then mix it with fruits, spices, extracts, syrup, or other sweet ingredients. You can also add nuts or put them on top.
- Fruits. Fruit is a great option. You can add berries, bananas, dried fruits (which will swell in the oatmeal), or apples as a few options.
- Spices. You can use all sorts of spices, but two popular ones are cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sweeteners. You can use brown sugar, maple syrup, or agave nectar.
- Seeds. You can add chai, sesame, or flax seeds are a few examples, but not your only options.
- Getting Creative. You can also get creative and use things like sweet potatoes, squashes, or other sweet vegetables.
You'll want to mix up the ingredients. Place them into an oven safe dish, and baking it for around 20 minutes. You are just heating it through and browning the top so you don't want to go a whole lot longer than that.
“Egg” less Casseroles
You can also make a baked casserole without adding in the tofu and milk. Some great options include potatoes, onions, peppers, and seasonings. You can even add any type of vegetable that you might want including parsnips, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and pretty much any vegetables you have on hand. One such idea is to layer hash browns, faux sausage, and then hash browns with peppers, onions, and garlic. Bake it till it is golden brown, hot, and delicious.
Breakfast casserole doesn't have to be a thing of the past. There are lots of ways for you to enjoy your vegan breakfast. You can get creative and enjoy breakfast even more than before. It only takes some experimenting and imagination for you to find all new favorite vegan dishes. You will even find favorite dishes for breakfast and brunch. Vegan breakfast casserole is your future!