It is believed that around eight percent of adults suffer from some type of nail fungus, and if you're one of these people, you'll know how difficult it can be to rid yourself of the problem. While there is little scientific research regarding the use of virgin coconut oil to kill nail fungus, there is mounting anecdotal evidence that points towards the remedy's effectiveness for treating numerous skin and fungal conditions. When combined with an antibacterial essential oil such as oregano essential oil, coconut oil becomes even more effective. It acts as a carrier, helping the antibacterial oil penetrate deep beneath the nail to target the root of the infection.
- 5 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure oregano essential oil
- Small mixing bowl
- Combine the extra virgin coconut oil with the pure oregano essential oil in a small mixing bowl.
- Wash the affected area and dry thoroughly. Trim the nails as closely to the skin as possible for the best results.
- Sit down in a comfortable place and elevate your feet if you're treating your toenails. Find a flat, clean area to work if you're treating your fingernails.
- Use your fingers to apply the coconut oil mixture to the affected nails, rubbing it in as much as possible so it penetrates beneath the nail.
- Allow at least five to ten minutes before standing or putting anything on your feet (socks or shoes). If treating your fingernails, wait at least 5 minutes to use your hands.
- Repeat all steps twice per day, once in the morning and again in the evening, for at least two weeks. Even if it appears the infection is clearing, continue the applications for 14 whole days.
- If your nails are deteriorating very quickly or symptoms do not improve after 2 weeks, consult a qualified physician immediately. You may be suffering from a nutritional deficiency or a more serious underlying condition instead of nail fungus.
- Extra virgin coconut oil and pure oregano essential oil can be purchased at your local natural health store and some well-stocked drug stores. If unable to source them locally, try purchasing from a reputable online retailer such as Amazon.
- Other antibacterial essential oils may be used in place of oil of oregano. Try tea tree or lavender, both of which are powerful, natural anti-fungal agents.
- Do not mix essential oil in a container also used for food. When ingested, essential oils can be toxic. Use separate mixing bowls when making your own medicinal and cosmetic herbal preparations.
- Tingling of the skin caused by the oregano essential oil is normal, but if it burns, you've used too much. Make a new batch of the coconut oil mixture using less oregano oil.