Check Out The Best Houston Attractions For Families
The entire state of Texas offers great family attractions, but the best ones are all found in Houston. Check out the following list to prepare for your next family vacation to the heart of Houston:
- The Houston Zoo houses over 4,500, which covers 900 different species. It is a large zoo and the 7th most popular one in the United States. They provide a beautiful landscape with the option of a scheduled guided tour. These tours provide the ultimate hands-on experience that can involve feeding lion cubs or shadowing a veterinarian on staff for the day. This is perhaps the best place to take your family in the Houston area.
- The Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center is the home of NASA's astronaut corps. It covers around 1,620 acres in Southeast Houston, and is made up of 100 facilities. This may seem like an odd place for tourists, but it is full of activities that anyone can participate in. Space Center Houston is the official visitor’s center for the Johnson space center. You can experience a zero-gravity environment simulation that is provided in the Living in Space exhibit or you can participate in a virtual rocket launch that comes complete with exhaust. The Living in Space exhibit can be found at the Blast Off Theater. This is the perfect opportunity to teach your children all about what NASA does.
- The Galleria Mall is the largest mall in Texas. It is located in Houston and is considered to be very upscale, located just in Houston's Uptown District. Stores in the Galleria include Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Louis Vuitton, and Tiffany and Co. It also house two different Westin hotels due to its large size.
- Splashtown is a great water park for families in Northern Houston. The park features a wild wave pool, multiple slides, and a lazy river that is true fun for all ages. Young guests enjoy the Crocodile Isle which is a children's play area that is fully interactive and includes slides just for kids and a pirate ship.
- Downtown Aquarium has over 400 different specifics of marine life. It is something right out of the movies. You can dine directly in front of a large 150,000 gallon tank that is two-stories high. Families can pet stingrays, watch White Tigers swimming around, and enjoy a train ride straight through the Shark Voyage. The dining area is beautiful with excellent food, including steaks, seafood entrees, and delicious desserts.
- The Houston Museum District is a large collection of galleries, museums, and cultural centers that are all within a 1.5 mile radius of Herman Park. One of these museums is the Museum of Fine Arts which is the home of the Bayou Bend Collections and Gardens. This single museum alone has over 56,000 pieces. There is also the John P. McGovern Museum which is the first and only 4D theater in Houston. Other famous museums in the district include the Lawndale Art Center, Houston Center for Photography, and the Holocaust Museum.
There is no shortage of fun in Houston! The zoo for the kids, the museums for dad, and the mall for mom all guarantee a great trip for the whole family. And remember, these Houston attractions for families are only the beginning of a very long list of fun things to do in Houston.