Forgot your password?

Water Damage Mold

By Edited Oct 27, 2013 0 0

Mold caused by water damage is something you'll want to remove as quickly as possible. While not all molds can cause serious health problems some types are definitely dangerous. For most people it can be hard to tell the difference. You may have heard the recent story about a 11,500 square-foot luxury home in Texas. The house developed several plumbing leaks and this eventually led to the growth of Stachybotrys atra, a particularly lethal strain of mold. The family was eventually forced to abandon their dream home after suffering from numerous health conditions including seizures, memory loss, and bleeding in the lungs.

While mold certainly has its place in keeping nature balanced, it's definitely not something you want growing in your house. In fact, finding and cleaning mold is probably one of the most important steps of water damage restoration.

If you find any mold in your home caused by water damage the first thing you should do is isolate it from the rest of your house. This is done by draping plastic sheets over door openings and taping plastic over air vents and other openings. If you find moldy objects that you want to throw away, first discard them into a plastic bag or wrap them up in plastic sheets before you carry them through the rest of your house. Another alternative is to simply bring a large garbage bin into your working area.

Also take into consideration the clothes you wear during mold cleanup. Don't wear them into other unaffected areas of your house. If they're clothes that you want to keep, put them in a plastic bag when you're done and wash them separately from the rest of your laundry.

Mold can be quite a problem where there's been a water leak for quite some time. Even if you don't find a lot of water to clean up, you may discover quite a bit of mold-related damage. Porous materials can grow mold on and in them fairly easily. These include materials such as sheet rock, plaster, insulation, ceiling tiles, carpet, carpet padding, and laminated wood products. The longer the mold has grown on these materials the harder it will be to get rid of. Mold that has grown underneath a layer of paint or inside the contaminated material can be virtually impossible to eliminate.

Nonporous materials such as concrete, glass, hard plastic, metal, and solid wood are often easier to clean as the mold is only allowed to grow on the surface. If you find new mold growth in areas that have been cleaned previously it's probably an indication that moisture still isn't under control. Unfortunately, getting rid of mold isn't always a simple one-step process .



Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Technology