fresh fish shopping
The amount of fish consumed in UK and such countries have decreased these years. People tend to eat more meat.
This is a warning bell because fish is far more healthier than meat, so with the rate of fish eaten on the fall the increase of disease and obesity will be on the rise.
One reason to my knowledge must be due to
- The ignorance of the nutrients in fish.
- Some people don't like the smell of fish.
- Due to ease in cooking and consuming meat.
In my country, I live in Sri Lanka that is an Island, fresh fish is found all around the year. The price however fluctuates. Ther have been times when a kilogram of seer fish is Rs.200 that is $2 and sometimes it is 5 times that price. However Sri Lankans each fish daily. Yes I said daily. We sometimes have it as a side dish for our rice and most of the time we add dry fish chips to all our curries, whether it be potato, carrot,spinach or cabbage curry. This dried fish chips are called maasi in Tamil. It is quiet expensive compared to the other types of fishes. We even make a dish like chili paste with these dried fish, this is absolutly delicious. (I am hoping to write an article on that recipe too)
An an encouragment let me point out some benefits of consuming fish. Neverthless ther are dozens of benefits.
- Fish contain omega 3 that are very good for the body.
- It is low in fat.
- Fish have vitamins A, B12, D and Iron.
- Fish are easily digested so this is the best food for elderly and weening children.
- 200g of fish is all the protein that you need in a day.
- Fish oil is essential to keep the bnes healthy.
- Consuming fish reduces the risk of senilty and depression.
- It also plays an important role in cardiovascular health.
- Including fish in our diet can lower blood pressure.
- Consuming fish during pregnancu helps in the development of nerves and vision of the foetus.
It is called so due to its white flesh. Few white fish are cod, plaice, turbot, hake etc.
The content of fat in white fish is very little. So make sure not to cook it till dry.
Herring, mackerel, sardine. This has a high level of fat compared to white fish. So is served with fruit sauces to counteract the effect
(My article on easy sauces, give recipes of easy sauces to accompany fish, barbecue, steak etc.)
This is divided into 2
Jointed shells- crab, prawns.
Hinged shells-oyster, mussels, clams, cockles.
Fresh water fish
Salmon, trout and carp are fresh water fishes. These are are from lakes and streams.
Choosing and buying fish
My grand ma will tell the biography of a fish by taking a glance at it.
She knows the different types of all fish. It’s not that easy, she got it with experience. Even if there was two fish that looks the same but are different, she knows it.
But my brother is not so good. He is the one who does the poultry shopping at home. So for all mamas and dads and to be mamas and dads, here are few tips.
Buying fresh fish is easy these days due to high preservative methods and equipments. Check for these signs to make sure that you get the fresh fish, because fresh fish tastes and looks heavenly!!
- The color of the fish should be bright and clear. The skin should be shining and there should be no film of slipperiness on the top.
- It should be firm and not soft.
- The eyes should be bright with black pupils. The eyes should be bulging. The bad fish will have blurred eyes.
- The gills should be clean and red. The bad fish has dark or maroon gills.
- For fish cutlets and steaks the flakes should be firm.
- Fresh fish should have a pleasant odor. And naturally spoilt fish will have an offensive odor. Bad fish can be easily recognized by the smell because by the time you reach the fish you will have your hand over your nose.
Preparation for cooking
Your fishmonger will be pleased to prepare the fish for you. Always ask for the waste items like the head, the tail and the skin, so that you can use it for preparing stock to use for soups and sauces.
Skinning and filleting small fish may sound difficult. But follow these easy steps for easy cooking.
Place the fish on the board and run a sharp knife over the middle bone. Now scrape along the bones from head till tail to remove the flesh. Do the same on the other side. Now turn the fish and do the same on the opposite side.
To skin a fillet
Place the fish fillet on a board, tail end towards you. Now hold the tail firmly and using a fillet knife , keeping the blade close to the skin a possible, move the knife working your way down.
To skin a whole small fish
Make a small slash at the tail end. Insert a finger and run it up the fish between the skin and flesh.
Remove the skin away from the flesh and remove it at the head.
Repeat the same on the other side.
If the skin is too slippery to hold dip your hands in salt.
To scale a fish
Keep it on the board with the tail end towards you. Using the blunt end of the knife, scrape towards the head to get rid of scales.
To gut a whole fish
Using a sharp knife slit the skin from below the head until the middle of the fish. Then remove the guts. Open the flap in the head and remove the gills.
These are just useful information in preparing the fish, look out for my article on different methods of cooking this wonder.