Types of web hosting
Choosing a web host provider
Web hosting is a form of Internet hosting service which gives websites owned by organizations or businesses and individuals the access to the World Wide Web. A Web host provides space on a proprietary server, whether owned or leased, and an Internet connectivity through a data center. This process is known as housing or colocation. The most basic service a web host offers is small-scale file and web page hosting. Files are uploaded through a Web interface or a File Transfer Protocol (FTP). With this, raw or minimally processed files are delivered to the web. Most Internet Service Providers (ISP) offer web hosting for free to subscribers, especially for personal websites. People can also obtain hosting from other alternative service providers through advertisement sponsorship.
Types of web hosting
There are several types of web hosting available for everyone. Even large companies who are not Internet Service Providers need a permanently connected computer to the web to maintain their daily business communications. Reseller web hosting encourages clients to offer web hosting as an affiliate of the actual provider. Resellers could function under any combination of hosting styles for individual domains, depending on who their affiliates are.
Reseller accounts may vary greatly in size. This is one form of web hosting where in the account holder has the ability to use his assigned bandwidth and hard drive space to host websites for third parties. The reseller purchases the web host's service
s on wholesale terms and then sells them for a profit. The reseller may dispose shared hosting services or leases a dedicated server from a host company. In the former case, the reseller is given the permission to sell a certain amount of bandwidth and disk space to his own clients without having to rent a server from a hosting company.
Free web hosting and design services are offered by different companies for specific services, occasionally supported by advertisements, but usually more limited than paid hosting. The reseller offers web hosting as an add-on servic
e to possible business propositions such as web development, web design, or systems integration. Reseller hosting is ideal for start-up web hosting ventures as it is an affordable web hosting scheme to invest in. Most hosting plans allow resellers to choose their own pricing scheme and to design their own service plans. In most cases, resellers establish their own branding through name servers and customized control panels.
You can opt for shared web hosting as well. It is a service where your website is placed on the same server among many other sites. A common pool of server resources is shared by all domains, such as the RAM and CPU. The features are extensive on this type of service.
Dedicated server web hosting on the other hand allows users to acquire their own web server and maintain full control over it, gaining root access for Linux/administrator access for Windows.
- ·Self-Managed or unmanaged - The least expensive type for dedicated plans. The user has full administrative access to the server, giving the client full responsibility for the maintenance and security of his own dedicated server.
- ·Collocation hosting service - The user owns the colocation server. This is the most expensive and powerful type of web hosting service.
- ·Managed hosting service - The user is not allowed full control over the web server but can only manage their data through File Transfer Protocol (FTP) or similar remote management tools.
- ·Cloud Hosting – It is a new type of web hosting platform that allows customers scalable, reliable, and powerful hosting based on utility billing and clustered load balanced servers.
- ·Grid hosting – It is composed of multiple nodes where a cluster server acts like a grid.
- ·Clustered hosting – It features having several servers hosting the same content for enhanced resource utilization.
- ·Home server - can be used to host multiple web sites from a consumer grade broadband connection.
- ·Single page hosting is ideal for a personal web page.
- Business web site hosting generally entails a higher expense that requires a more complex comprehensive package providing application development platforms and database support like the Java ColdFusion PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails, and more. These facilities let the customers install scripts for applications like content management and forums. The host may also provide a control panel or an interface for installing service applications like e-mail, managing the scripts and Web server as well as other modules. Some hosts usually specialize in certain software or services.
Choosing a web host provider
Free web site hosting is almost always provided by Internet service providers as part of an Internet access plan. There are many free providers offering these types of web hosting. A customer must evaluate the requirements when applying and choosing what kind of hosting plan to use. Such considerations include scripting software, operating system, and database server software.
Linux-based services offer a wide range of different software by most web hosting providers. The web host client may want other services such as multi-media services for streaming media databases or email for their business domain. Browse through client web hosting reviews to find the hosting site you can rely on. It is wise to compare web hosting sites before choosing a web hosting service that can conform to your web site design requirements.
Finding web hosting providers may be the most critical decision to make for your company or yourself. Selecting a trustworthy web hosting company can be overwhelming and taxing. Cost of web hosting may vary depending on your intended investment but definitely making your presence felt in the World Wide Web will be worth any amount.
A website is essential for any online business but very costly if you make a mistake in setting up one. Before purchasing a web site, thoroughly research your prospective hosting companies. The most basic question would be concerning security. It is important for you to know that web hosts should be in a remote location with several backup in multiple locations. The servers must have dual firewalls to protect your site from natural disaster, power failure or unscrupulous people who steal information. Employ a hosting company that serves the most number of websites. Jot down all the questions you may have in your mind when in doubt. After all, you don’t pay to ask questions. So, frame them well, for it might be the last free thing you can do before you finally pay for a web hosting provider.