Daily February Holidays That Can Change
• Inconvenience Yourself Day: Honored on the fourth Wednesday in February.
• National Wear Red Day: First Friday in February (U.S.). Shows support for the awareness of heart disease.
• President’s Day: Celebrated on the third Monday of February.
• World Sword Swallower’s Day: Celebrated on the last Saturday in February. A good day to take down that ninja sword on the wall and carefully show it to a few of your friends.
Daily Holidays in February That Stay the Same
1- National Freedom Day: Celebrates the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution that officially abolished involuntary servitude.
1- Working Naked Day: Only for the self-employed to take advantage of.
2- Groundhog Day: If a shadow is seen then expect six more weeks of winter weather.
3- The Day the Music Died: Commemorates the untimely death of singers Buddy Holly, J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson and Ritchie Valens in a small plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa in 1959.
4- World Cancer Day
5- National Weatherman’s Day (or Weatherperson’s Day)
5- World Nutella Day
6- International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation
7- Wave All Your Fingers At Your Neighbor Day
8- Boy Scout Anniversary Day: The scout motto? Be prepared.
9- Read in the Bathtub Day: Run some hot water, throw in some of your best bath salts and relax for an hour or so with a good book.
10- No notable February holidays to be found.
11- White Shirt Day (or White T-shirt Day): Commemorates those who took part in a sit-down strike at General Motors in 1937.
12- Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday: Our 16th President of the United States.
13- Get a Different Name Day: The perfect day to pick out a cool nickname for yourself.
14- Valentine’s Day: The perfect time for a romantic date.
15- National Gum Drop Day
16- No noteworthy February holidays to be found.
17- My Way Day
17- World Human Spirit Day: Celebrated with two minutes of silence at 3:00 pm, USA, Eastern Standard Time.
18- No noteworthy February holidays to be found.
19- Chocolate Mint Day
20- Love Your Pet Day
21- International Mother Language Day: Celebrate your native tongue.
22- George Washington’s Birthday: The 1st official President of the United States.
22- National Margarita Day
22- World Thinking Day: Primarily honored by the same organization that created it back in 1926… the Girl Scouts and the Girl Guides.
23- No noteworthy February holidays to be found.
24- National Artist Day (in Thailand)
25- Pistol Patent Day: Samuel Colt received Patent #138 for the Colt Revolver back on this day in 1836.
26- For Pete’s Sake Day
27- No Brainer Day: If a project requires too much thought, then today is not the day to do it.
28- Floral Design Day
28- Rare Disease Day: This is held on the last day of February every year which means that during leap years it is held on the 29th. Meant to raise awareness of those diseases you’ve never heard of.
29- Leap Year Day: Usually comes around every four years during a leap year. I can’t imagine someone being born on this day and only able to celebrate their birthday every four years. I wonder if that means they age four times slower than the rest of us, or worse yet only get birthday gifts once every four years?
Notable February Festivals
• The Battle of the Oranges: A carnival that takes place in the Italian city of Ivrea, which includes an old tradition of the townspeople dividing up into nine teams and throwing oranges at each other. It takes place in February and ends on the night of “Fat Tuesday.”
Weekly Observances of February
• Children’s Authors and Illustrators Week: The first week in February. A great time to honor your favorite writer or artist whether they help create kids magazines, children’s books or creative toys.
• Jell-O Week: The second full week of February.
• Have a Heart for A Chained Dog Week: Take place the same week as Valentine’s Day. Celebrated by sending cards to people who chain up their dogs. A brochure explaining why keeping a dog chained up all the time is also included along with a dog food coupon.
Monthly February Celebrations and Observances
• Adopt A Rescued Rabbit Month
• Black History Month
• National Bird Feeding Month
• National Cherry Month
• National Condom Month: The weekly celebration usually takes place the same week as Valentine’s Day in the U.S. so be sure to carry one on that romantic date you go on.
• National Grapefruit Month
• National Mend A Broken Heart Month: This month would be a good day to go over to a friend’s house with some sad love songs and a couple of pints of ice cream.
• National Weddings Month
• Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month
Questionable February Holidays
2- Font Appreciation Day: Just think how bland that business card would look without a distinctive font.
4- Create a Vacuum Day
7- Send a Card to a Friend Day
9- Toothache Day
16- Do a Grouch a Favor Day
18- Thumb Appreciation Day: We would definitely have a harder time without one.
18- National Battery Day: Alessandro Volta, the inventor of the battery, was born on this day back in 1745.
20- Cherry Pie Day
22- Walking the Dog Day: I wonder if this day celebrates the pet or the yo-yo trick.
23- International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day
28- National Tooth Fairy Day: Some say it is on August 22.
28- Public Sleeping Day