Forgot your password?

Well Water Shock Treatments: How They Work and What to Prepare

By Edited Nov 13, 2013 0 0

Perhaps you have heard of well water shock treatment and wondered how this method works. Well, wonder no more as this article tells you some of the most basic things you need to know about this type of treatment for water coming from wells.

Shock treatment is a treatment that aims to disinfect well water. It is generally recommended for water found in domestic water systems. It is called as such because its design is to purposefully shock bacteria by throwing a deadly, one-time attack. This has become a favorite among homeowners because it is the cheapest and most effective of all well water treatments, unlike continuous chlorination that needs to be performed every now and then.

There are a number of reasons why bacterial contamination takes place. In homes, bacteria typically enter the water system during the installment of the well or when repair is done. Of course, the most common reason is the passage of time—through the years, the water accumulates unwanted elements that significantly modify its appearance, taste, odor, and overall quality. But no matter what the reason is, one thing’s for sure: failure to address bacterial contamination right away can lead to serious problems, including the onset of diseases.

Like chlorination, the key ingredient in any shock treatment is chlorine. The amount of chlorine to be used in the treatment relies on the diameter of the well and the depth of the water. A 200-ppm chlorine solution is usually doused in the well as well as the plumbing system and kept there for a minimum of two hours. Experts recommend overnight treatment to ensure optimum results.

The type of chlorine source—there are three—is determined by the kind of property needed to be treated. Public properties lean toward the use of gaseous chlorine because the substance can easily kill widespread bacteria in huge quantities of water. Private properties, on the other hand, are advised to use dry chlorine or liquid chlorine. These are just as effective as their gaseous counterpart but are safer for the treatment of well water for private consumption.

Unless you are a hundred-percent sure that you know what you’re doing, performing well water shock treatment is best left at the hands of professionals. These days, you won’t experience difficulty finding a contractor who is licensed to conduct well water treatments, including shock chlorination. If, on the other hand, you feel confident of your knowledge and ability, make sure you take note of the following steps in shock-treating well water:

-  Clean all of the exterior surfaces and all the accessible interior surfaces. Scrub the well casing and cap using a stiff brush and chlorine solution. Make sure the solution is a strong one, preferably half a gallon of common bleach for every five gallons of water.

-  Cut off the electricity to your well, and take out the cap. Avoid electrical connections when scrubbing. Manually empty and clean cisterns; this is to avoid spilling large and potentially harmful amounts of chlorine into the water.

- Determine how much chlorine you need to treat your well water.

- Let the solution treat the water for 24 hours if you can afford it, or at least for a couple of hours.

-  Open faucets and let the water run until completely free from the smell of chlorine. Use the water for drinking purposes only after a couple of days, at which time the well water shock treatment shall have been completed.




Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Health