It was 2:30AM on November 28th, 2006. I woke up with a "funny" feeling and I just couldn't sleep. This was not at all like me, I'm the type that "dies" when I get into bed and then I don't move until my alarm yanks me from my slumber each morning. So, I hauled my pregnant belly out of bed and went to sit on the couch. I played Sudoku for a while before trying to go back to sleep, to no avail. By about 7 AM I was having these pains in my belly and I was starting to get suspicious…

So I called into work and said I had better things to do that day! Okay, I told them I thought I was in labor, but I wanted to tell them, "WOO-HOO! I'M TAKIN' THE NEXT 6 WEEKS OFF BABY!" So, immediately after getting off the phone with my boss, the contractions stopped - they STOPPED! I then called my mother in tears and told her that I had thought I was in labor but now I wasn't contracting anymore. It was one of the most depressing moments of my life! I went from the high of thinking I was going to have my baby to just knowing that I would be pregnant forever! My mother calmly suggested that I call my doctor and request an appointment to see what was happening. I then went back to bed and around 10 AM the contractions started again. They weren't much, just some mild tightening of my distended belly, but I was getting them with increasing regularity.

At 1 PM, I went to my doctors appointment and when I was right in the middle of a sentence, my breath was taken away by something a little stronger than the twinges I had been feeling. The doctor "checked" me in the way doctors do when labor is imminent and he said, "well, why don't you head across the street and get checked into the hospital and I'll come over and break your water." What…WHAT??? All of a sudden I was sooooo not ready to have this baby! I was totally expecting him to say that I wasn't in labor and I should go back home until I was in active labor! So I headed to my mom's office to let her know what was going on and then things started to get uncomfortable and I knew that there was a baby coming whether I was ready for it or not! I told my mom that I was going home to pack my bag and she could take me to the hospital.

We got to the hospital and things were going pretty good. I wasn't in much pain, but each time a contraction hit, I had to pause to catch my breath. The lady in registration got a little wide-eyed when I told her I was in labor - I think she sent up a prayer that she wouldn't have to deliver my baby at her desk! I was in my room by about 2 PM and around 3:00, the doctor broke my water and that is an entirely singular feeling that you will never have the opportunity to experience elsewhere in your life, and thank God for that! It was all downhill from there! I called my husband, who was at work, and told him that he should get to the hospital ASAP! For a moment he thought I was just kidding him, but soon realized that I wasn't kidding and he officially became more nervous than I was!

About an hour after that, the nurse said, "let me know when you need to push!" I said, "How will I know when I need to push?" To which she replied, "oh… you'll know!" Not more than 30 seconds later I NEEDED to push! The doctor was not there yet, so I had to "labor down" (which consists of using every ounce of will power in my body to do the one thing that nature intended for it to do, and that was give birth!) for the next 20 minutes and that was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life! I was so freaked out by what was happening that I was trying to break the nurses hand each time a contraction hit. She tried to get me to hold my husband's hand but I wanted not part of that - he had no clue what he was doing! I needed medical help, not a pale, about-to-pass-out husband that is more freaked out than I am! God bless him though, he tried to calm me down and offered to rub my back, but I was WAY past the point of backrubs and ice chips at this point! By the time the doctor showed up, (and he almost didn't make it in time!) it took about 3 pushes and my first child joined the world at 5:03 PM.

I'm not going to lie… it HURT! Not only was it painful then, it continued to hurt for the next few months as I had managed to fracture my tailbone during labor! But…when they handed me that warm, tiny baby, I felt nothing but overwhelming love! I was giddy with emotion and more tired than I had ever been in my entire life. Once the adrenaline had worn off, my legs were shaking so hard that they were jumping off the bed and all I wanted to do was hold my new daughter and sleep. I had just been through the single most terrifying, scary, intense, emotional, and awesome event of my life and I knew that things would just continue to get more complicated from that moment on, but I was ready for it (HA! If only I had known what I was in for!) I never did get to sleep that night, even though I hadn't slept much in two days, but I didn't mind too much when I looked at the sweet little face of my baby. It's still a miraculous thing to me 4 years later and I thank God every day for the blessing that is Alora! And THAT is what happened on November 28th, 2006!