This is one of the most dangerous chemical substances around the home or workplace. It contains no odor, no color, and is tasteless by itself. Since it is a gas, it is commonly mixed with other chemicals so that there is a detectable odor to the combination. Most people will ask "what is carbon monoxide?" when they have often inhaled it along with another chemical, before.

What is Carbon Monoxide Composed of?

Carbon monoxide is composed of one carbon atom (C) and one oxygen atoms (O), elementally speaking. It is derived from many carbon-based sources.

What Are Some of the Common Sources?

Instances where carbon monoxide inhaling has occurred include the inhalation of burning items that are composed of carbon, like gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, coal, or wood. Additionally, forges, blast furnaces coke ovens, and related fire-burning containers produce CO. However, the most common source of exposure to this is compound is the internal combustion engine.

What is Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide basically replaces oxygen, once inside the body. Typically, a feeling of lethargy or sleepiness will follow, but this can become quite deadly over time. With CO poisoning, you can lose consciousness, suffocate and perish from lack of oxygen.

Some of the signs of this type of poisoning include a pounding headache, sleepiness, dizziness, or feeling nauseous. If any of these signs are present, getting to a well-ventilated area is tantamount to recovering and being able to breathe again.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Accidents

The best way to prevent carbon monoxide accidents is to be aware of where carbon monoxide is present, at first. Once you know where it is likely to occur, ensuring that you are in a well-ventilated area or have access to fresh air is the key to preventing poisoning.

Another way to possibly prevent these types of accidents, is to purchase a carbon monoxide detector for your home. This simple device plugs into any A/C outlet and will notify you, with a series of beeps, as to just how high your carbon monoxide level is in your home or work place.