What is anxiety
Anxiety refers to the mental disorder that leads to fear, worry or nervousness which can be justified to a certain extent in daily life if occurred in a proportioned way.But if it results in excessive mental pressure, insomnia, restlessness, abnormal behavior, nervous breakdown and all other symptoms that have direct and indirect impacts on personal life, relationships, jobs and in other fields it is considered to be anxiety disorder in the truest sense. Gradually it becomes difficult to control and the patients become mentally crippled and fear to go out to avoid people outside. There are many types of anxiety disorders like Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Panic Attack, Social Anxiety Disorder, Phobia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Separation Anxiety Disorder.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder patients fear about unspecific things to such an extent that cannot be imagined. GAD comes with illogical causes and may revolve around health problems, financial affairs, children responsibilities and many more general events. People start worrying to such a point that their nerve stop functioning causing the physical symptoms like strong headache, trembling, perspiration, trouble in breathing. According to experts in six months some of the physical conditions are common in GAD patients, for example they cannot sleep well or may become insomniac, some of them get easily tired, they cannot concentrate properly, a general tendency of tremendous restlessness grows in them, most of them feel muscle tension and become irritated.
Panic Attack is the disorder in which people are afraid of their next attack. There is no certain reason proved behind panic disorder but researches say that it may be a result of some chemical changes in body or due to some genetic reasons and most of the victims are of the age of around 25 years or like that. The attacks occur at the frequency of 10 minutes or it may come after 1 hour or 1 week or 1 month. The patients tend to avoid same situations to get rid of same consequences. They become victim of intense fear and anxiety. It becomes a living hell to deal with situation and people around. This kind of disorder makes people completely shaken out and made themselves hidden from outer activities and communications in fear of panic attack which can go beyond control.
The commonest symptoms seen in the victims of panic disorder are
- fear of death at any moment
- gasping and panting
- detachment from reality
- signs of craziness
- abdominal pain etc.
The sufferer goes through a drastic and devastating change of behavior expecting future attacks.
Social phobia leads people to suffer from the anxiety of being embarrassed in a social condition and hence they try to escape social interaction and communication,There are categories of social phobias like some people may be phobic to appear in public place to deliver speech in fear of trembling voice or shaky hands. Some may fear to perform before others to experience humiliation and to look stupid or confused. All these cause heart pounding, anxiety, sweat and worrying much under pressure. But people with different phobias know that these are irrational but still they cannot control them. These people in most cases want to avoid those things or objects or situations and the elements of anxiety are identified.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder people generally obsessed with some actions which may be repetitive and unreasonable and anxiety takes route from this obsession. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder comes as the reaction of any past incident or accident and brings a behavioral change. Separation Anxiety Disorder is due to the separation from any person or object that used to provide safety.
How to get rid of anxiety
Anxiety can be overcome by following certain steps.
- Working out and doing exercise is the way to reduce anxiety and affirm a healthy life. It distracts one’s mind from difficulties and helps to lighten the burden from mind and heart.
- Apart from that doctors recommend many yoga and relaxation therapies to lead a stress-free life.
- People should involve themselves in responsibilities and works of their own choice like cooking, gardening, reading, taking photographs etc.
- Most of the time should be devoted in what makes them happy.
- In order to get rid of anxiety a person must say ‘no’ to drugs, alcohol, caffeine and should take frequent meals smaller in quantity full with carbohydrates.
- Doctors prescribe anti-anxiety medicines and it is advisable to go through the medication to get cured as soon as possible.
- Spending time with loved ones and getting mental supports from family and friends are really vital to make one mentally stable.
- Strong will power and determination to prevent anxiety are the strongest weapons to fight the disorder.