Blog, more accurately weblog, is generally article based sites ( although some focus on art, photographs, videos, music, audio etc.) published on the world wide internet that are regularly updated with discrete entries called posts. The newer posts are always displayed at the top where as older posts keep moving downward. This is a better way to insure that the newer articles will catch the eyes of the reader first. Blog distinguishes itself from other static websites by its interactive nature. i.e. it allows users to comment and leave views regarding the posts.
The blog emerges in the late 1990s with the advent of web publishing tools that faciliates the posting of content by non-technical users. This made blogging as easy as writing an article and the rest is handled by the software platform. Being able to focus on the content rather than on how to publish it was a great invention to bloggers. Blogging was an instant hit as any individuals and small groups with little knowledge of computer and internet were able to express their views on their related fields through blogging.
How does a blog looks like?
Though how does a blog looks like greatly depends on the type of blog and the type of blogging platform blogger are using, generally a blog tends to have these things in common:
- A main content area with articles listed chronologically, newest on top. Often, the articles are organized into categories.
- An archive of older articles.
- A way for people to leave comments about the articles.
- A list of links to other related sites, sometimes called a "blogroll".
- One or more "feeds" like RSS, Atom or RDF files.
Which blogging Platform to choose?
Though there are many platforms to choose from, which are also very popular among different circles with different needs , I would say the most popular blogging platform are Wordpress and Blogger. Blogger is generally popular among those with basic knowledge of blogging where as those who have got better skills in publishing blog would prefer Wordpress. However, a good web designer can obtain the same output using different platform. So which ever you choose, its up to you and your needs.
Basic terms Blogger needs to Know?
Generally blog posts are grouped on the basis of dates, like : articles posted in a week, in a month or in a year basis. This groupings are know as Archives and is a very important feature of blog as it helps to keep track of the articles on a blog as time passes by and articles keep piling really high. Archives can also be made on the basis of author or alphabetically.
If a user feels your blog is really good, then he/she would like to keep track of your updates regularly. However, for this, he would have to keep visiting your blog regularly. As it would be tiresome for user, feed is to facilitate them. A Feed is a function of special software that allows "Feedreaders" to access a site automatically looking for new content and then post updates about that new content to another site. This feed can be subscribed through emails or feedreaders like RSS(popular), Atom or RDF files.
Blogroll is listing of links to other useful sites usually with similar interests. Author usually creates the list of blogs which he finds worthwhile or interesting for users.
Most of the Blogging platform support Email blogging. You are given a pre-determined email address which you can use to publish your post while unable to interact with the blogging platform. All you have to do is email the article to the address and you will have your article published.
Widgets or Plugins
These are a bit of programming scripts that add additional functionality or enhance already available features to your blog. You can find thousands of widgets or plugins on the web for free to use on your blog. Both Blogger and Wordpress have vast resource of widgets to choose from. Just adding the widget to your blog will do the trick.
Blogging Tips for Beginners
Blogging may seem at first fun but if you are really serious then it becomes the real deal. I mean, it would be very difficult to stand out from the vast crowd of millions of bloggers and be one of the few hundred thousand bloggers whose blogs are actually visited. Often beginners become quickly discouraged because of the lack of comments or visits, so to give them a little bit of encouragement or guiding, i present here some tips or rather it would be more precise to say general principles of blogging:
- Post regularly, but don't post if you have nothing worth posting about.
- Stick with only a few specific genres to talk about.
- Don't put 'subscribe' and 'vote me' links all over the front page until you have people that like your blog enough to ignore them (they're usually just in the way).
- Use a clean and simple theme if at all possible.
- Enjoy, blog for fun, comment on other peoples' blogs (as they normally visit back).
- Hard work and a lot of dedication is what separates a winner from a loser.
Blogging is to interact with the readers, however all the readers are not good for you and there come times when you will encounter threats, insults or abusive online behaviour. As a blogger, you need to follow these code of conduct to keep such things at bay as much as possible and if occured to counter them.
- Take responsibility not just for your own words, but for the comments you allow on your blog.
- Label your tolerance level for abusive comments.
- Consider eliminating anonymous comments.
- Ignore the trolls (someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat etc.)
- Take the conversation offline, and talk directly, or find an intermediary who can do so.
- If you know someone who is behaving badly, tell them so.
- Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in person.
These were some basic things a blogger should know. Anyone who are starting or considering possibility to blog are heartily welcomed in this community and good luck to you all. Though i may not be as pro as other found on the web, however if you face any problems while blogging feel free to discuss with me through comments or email. And if you appreciate my post please feel free to share or like my post.