Hiking is one of the most rewarding outdoor activities that we have available. From the beautiful views, to the interactions with nature, there's just not that much that beats a great hiking adventure. To make sure you have the best hiking experience , you're going to want to pack several items.. Below is a list of 10 key items that everyone should include when packing for a future hike.
1. Water It is recommended to carry at least 2 quarts of water per person per day to stay hydrated.
2. Food Since you will be exerting yourself to make it to your destination or even your pit stop, you should pack some snacks and/or lunch with you. Some of the snacks that are recommended are granola bars, beef jerky, trail mix or GORP (Good Old Raisins & Peanuts)
3. Charged Mobile Phone Provided you are hiking in an area where you'll have wireless coverage, having a cell phone with a full battery could save your life. There are many survival stories where the crisis could have been averted had they remembered to not leave their cell phone behind.
4. Med-Kit Bad things can happen anytime during a hike and it's best to be prepared for minor medical problems. This med-kit should include for example band aids, Neosporin, gauze, and a snake bite kit.
5. Knife You should have a knife since it's a very handy tool and it's also good for protection.
6. Flashlight It's easy to misjudge how much daylight you have and reading trail markers is harder at dusk, let alone during the evening.
7. Compass The value of a compass cannot be overstated. You may want to put a compass in your backpack and leave it there, so you have one when you need it.
8. Trail Map A trail map will be a great tool should you get lost Some of them will also tell you the trail's mileage and what the elevation gain will be.
9. Clothing/Accessories Be sure to pack what is appropriate for your hike such as hiking boots, socks, gloves, right amount of layering, rainwear, hat, sunglasses, sunblock, etc.
10. Backpack To pack all the items listed above.