Camping is among the many recreational activity that is done outdoors. However, some of my fondest memories were of me and my cousin setting up makeshift tent at my grandparent’s house during holidays. When you go camping you get outside and get the fresh air. You will be known collectively as, Campers. Generally camping is whereby campers go out leaving their regions and homes to enjoy the beautiful nature that surround us.
The campers do sleep outside in the wild during camping. There are various styles of camping. It can be done in a tent with few amenities. This is often referred to as “roughing it.” However, some people will take camper trailers or spend time in cabins and will refer to this as camping.
Camping as a recreational activity that is done by people of all ages including a lot done by the youth organizations. Churches, scouts, and summer camps will make use of camping to teach their agendas. Camping is a good platform to teach the youth about self independence, reliance and also teamwork. Camping adventures gives the campers a firsthand experience with nature, allowing them to use their skills and not rely on the luxuries they are used to. They are able to participate in different activities such as hunting, wildlife studies, mountain climbing, fishing, plant study, hiking, photography and also canoeing.
Accommodations for a large group of people attending an event could be very expensive. Camping has a distinct advantage because it is used as a form of cheap accommodation for some organizations.
There are different forms of camping
Mobile camping-This mainly involves the use of animals. Examples would include horses and mules. The animals help the campers to carry their loads. This is usually associated with places where there may be rugged terrain. The animal has been used for most of time to help with this type of journey and more recently used when camping.
Canoe camping-this type of camping uses canoes for transportation and the heavy loads are carried by the canoe. Of course the canoes are used in rivers and streams, but the camper will stop on the journey along the banks and sleep throughout the night before continuing the next day.
Sail camping-this is done while sailing. Sailors would visit islands and dock their boats or ships and they would set up camps. This is a very old type of camping, which some people have tried to recreate in modern times. This was very prevalent in the ancient times, because the ground was a safer place to sleep at night than on these ships. Mostly, those that made use of triremes, which needed to stay close to shore.
Adventure camping-people in this form of camping race (mountain biking) during the day and camp at night. These people like the thrill of going into places that not very many do.
Historical camping- this is camping whereby the camper's camp using equipments, tools and methods used in the past. They will try to do this as part of a test to themselves or as a way to try and get close to their ancestral roots. Another reason some people do this is for reenactments of battles for famous events. One example is the many Civil War reenactments done every year around the United States.
Different types of camping requires different types of equipment .For example the equipments for survival camping differs a lot with the equipments for the recreational camping. In survival camping the campers may require equipments that are more helpful in providing security, food, heat, and a survival kit is a must have. Whereas for recreational camping, the appropriate equipments to have are those that will make the camping experience enjoyable for all involved.
The following is a camping list of the equipments to bring while camping
1. Campfire starters-Good examples of fire starters are magnesium fire starters, and also waterproof matches. They are used in starting up fires while camping.
2. First aid kit-this kit is used whenever there is any emergency like hurting yourself while camping. Injuries are very common when camping, for the simple fact we are out of our natural habit and do not know what lies ahead.
3. Trash bags-these bags are commonly used in camping and are used for handling of waste and ensuring that the camping area is clean. Most campsites will require you pick up your own trash or be fined. Plus, this is the right thing to do to protect the environment. Trash could kill the animals and makes for a nasty site.
4. Cooler-it's very useful in storing perishables while still at camping. You do not want to eat bad meat and have a miserable time.
5. Firewood-are used for campfires and also for cooking. Do not rely on the area having wood appropriate for starting fires.
6. Camping axe-this axe is used for chopping camping firewood. See number 5.
7. Camp lanterns/solar camping lanterns-they are used in provide lighting around the camp site. You could just have a few flashlights, but laterns are easier to set down and provide light for everyone.
8. Folding chairs-they are commonly used in camping for placement around the campfire in the evenings. While not a neccessity, the ground is very hard on the old butt.
9. Water containers-these containers are used in camping for holding water for usage while still out for adventure. You want to have your own water and not rely on the water sources, such as rivers or streams. These may not be sanitary or potable.
10. Life jackets-they are very important if the campers are going to be around water most of the time, especially the young ones.
11. Walkie talkies-they seem childish but again they are very important if you are having children at the camping site. They prevent both adult and children from getting lost while looking for more adventure.
12. Camping showers-they have a great purpose if there are no showers around the camping site, but a sad thing they are not very necessary if the campers are backpacking or even biking.
13. Ropes-they may seem useless and they are the most forgotten items, but they came in handy. They are very much used in camping for example when the campers want to string between two trees for a cloth line where the campers can hand their wet swimming suits.
14. Camping boxes or bags-the boxes or bags are used in packing all the items that the campers need in their camping. You will find this useful, especially if it rains. The boxes are better if there are going to be any critters around
15. Fishing poles used for fishing. Of course this is only necessary if you are planning on fishing. This is a very relaxing way to spend some of the day while camping
16. Sleeping bags or blankets for warmth at night. There are different types of sleeping bags depending on the climate you plan on camping in.
17. Hammers or mallets-drive the tent stakes in the soil. I always seem to forget this and will lament the fact; I have to find a rock or a boot to drive the stakes in. Put this on a checklist to remember. You will thank me for it later.
18. Tents used as a form of shelter. There are various sizes and shapes of tents depending on your needs or wants.
19. Insect repellants to repel insects during the night. Do not forget this. I also have written an article about home remedies to repel mosquitoes. You may want to check it out.
20. Portable fire pit. You can make one out of rocks around the campsite if you can find them. Most established campsites already have them. However, they may or may not have a grate to put on top of the fire for cooking. You might trying finding something to use for this purpose.
21. Folding shovels-used when the campers want to dig fire pits. These trenching tools will be very handing in not only setting up your campsite, but also when Nature calls for covering up the results.
22. Rain coats. If your luck is like mine, it will rain when you get out there. It is never fun when the rain comes, but it is even less fun to be camping and wet. Keep somewhat dry with raincoats.
23. Hiking boots. If you plan on hiking, you will need them. Blisters are the results if you wear tennis shoes or flip flops.
24. A water-proof box for holding camp kitchen items. Soggy bread sucks. Keep it dry with a plastic or rubber box just for the items you will need for cooking and eating purposes.
25. Personal care items and towels. A lot of established campsites will have restroom facilities to take showers and perform hygiene activities. Remember these. Even though stinking might be associated with the old cowboys and travelers, your family will appreciate you keeping up your personal hygiene while camping. Tents are small spaces. You might find yourself “roughing it” under a tree and raincoat if you do not take care of hygiene.
26. Sunscreen to protect the skin. I am balding and my head is red as fire when I am out too long. I wear a hat but I also add ample amounts of sunscreen.
27. Pots and pans. Your kids will need these for cooking. Get them into the camping experience by allowing them to do this type of stuff. That is, if they are old enough. This camping should be a vacation for you.
Remeber to have fun and make great memories of your adventures. If you are taking children with you watch out for them. Tell them about the great adventures of camping and hopefully they will carry on the tradition.
Take care of yourself and others. Make today and everyday a great day.
Amazon Price: $249.99 $179.00 Buy Now
(price as of Apr 18, 2014)