Why is Carbon Monoxide So Dangerous?

Related Articles...

How to Choose The Best Smoke Alarm For Your Home!

Do You Have A Fire Escape Plan - It May Save Your Life Tonight!

Once carbon monoxide gas is breathed in, it goes through from the lungs into the hemoglobin molecules of the red blood cells. Carbon monoxide attaches to the hemoglobin molecules making carboxyhemoglobin. Carboxyhemoglobin interferes with the oxygen passage and gas exchange capabilities of the red blood cells. The outcome is your body becomes oxygen-starved, which may result in tissue damage and death if not detected soon enough.

Lower degrees of carbon monoxide poisoning cause symptoms likened to a flu or a common cold, including breathlessness on mild exertion, modest headaches, and sickness. Higher degrees of carbon monoxide poisoning can cause dizziness, mental confusion, terrible headaches, sickness, and passing out on mild exertion. In the end, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause unconsciousness, permanent brain damage, and if left unchecked death.

Carbon monoxide sensors are pre-programmed to sound an loud audio alarm before the levels of carbon monoxide would be a hazard to a fit grownup. Infants, youngsters, pregnant women, people with circulatory or respiratory problems, and the senior are a lot more sensitive to carbon monoxide poisoning than healthy grownups.

So What is The Best Carbon Monoxide Detector to Protect Your Family? I believe the [Kidde KN-COPP-3 Nighthawk Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Battery Backup and Digital Display] is the best for protecting your family. It must be good to have 119 Customer reviews.

So Just What Exactly is Carbon Monoxide?

Basically Carbon monoxide is an scentless, tasteless, unseen gas. Each molecule is made up of a single carbon atom attached to a single oxygen atom. Carbon monoxide comes from the incomplete burning of fossil fuels, such as wood stove, kerosene lantern, gasoline engine, charcoal, propane, natural gas, and oil.

Have you noticed that in new homes with a attached garage that has a man door leading into the home is equipped with a automatic closure. that's a safety precaution to prevent carbon monoxide fumes from a idling vehicle in the garage from entering your home.

Where Do You Find Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is ever-present in very low levels throughout the air. In our homes, it's made from partial combustion from any flame-fueled device, including gas stoves, gas ovens, gas clothes dryers, furnaces, fireplaces, wood stoves. Your gas fired furnace and gas hot water heaters are common sources of carbon monoxide, but if they're ventilated correctly the carbon monoxide will be directed to the outside. Running motor vehicles are the most usual causes of carbon monoxide poisoning.

How Does The Kidde KN-COPP-3 Nighthawk Work?

Carbon Monoxide Detector(40531)Carbon monoxide detectors work by sounding an alarm when it detects a certain amount of carbon monoxide. Some detectors may be using a chemical reaction creating a color change, an electrochemical response that provides the power to sound the alarm, and some use a semiconductor sensing element that switches its electrical resistance in there's a presence of CO. Most detectors require a uninterrupted power source, ifs there's a power outage the alarm does not work. To solve this problem some models have battery backup power.

Where's The Best Place To put a Carbon Monoxide Detector?


Since carbon monoxide is somewhat lighter than air and sometimes it can be detected in warm, rising air, your detectors should be located on a wall approximately 5 feet from the floor. The detector could be located on the ceiling. Don't place the detector adjacent to or on top of a fireplace. Keep the detector from reach of pets and children.

Every floor needs its own detector. If you're only using one detector, install near the sleeping area and be sure that the alarm is audible enough to wake everybody up. If you're a light sleeper a regular sound will be fine. If you're a heavy sleeper get one with a louder alarm and locate it closer to the room.

What To Do If Your Alarm Goes Off!

Do not disregard the alarm! It's designed to sound a alarm before you're having symptoms. If your alarm goes off silence it, then get everybody in the house to a source of fresh air. Then ask if anyone is having any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If someone is having some symptoms call 911. If there's no symptoms, air out the house, find and remedy the source before returning inside, and have your appliances or chimney inspected by a professional.

Do not just assume that you need or don't need one. As well, do not assume that you're safe from carbon monoxide poisoning because there's a device in your home. Carbon monoxide detectors are meant to protect healthy grownups, so consider the ages and health condition of other family members when evaluating the effectiveness of your detector. Likewise, be informed that the average life of these devices is approximately 2 years.

The test button on these detectors tells you that the alarm is working and not the condition of the detector. There are some models which last longer, tell you when they need to be replaced, and have battery backup. Make sure you check to see whether a certain model has the features you need.

When choosing whether or not to buy a carbon monoxide detector, you must take into account not only the number of detectors needed...But as well the number fuel burning appliances you have. Newer buildings might have more airtight construction and are better insulated, which allows carbon monoxide to accumulate easier.

More Related Articles...

How to Choose The Best Smoke Alarm For Your Home!

Do You Have A Fire Escape Plan - It May Save Your Life Tonight!