Reviews and Tips on Buying 4 Man Tents
The 4 man tent is perhaps the most popular size available for camping, as it easily accommodates a small family or group. However, keep in mind that if you need to fit your camping gear inside, the tent may only sleep two or three people at most. There are many different brands of 4 man tents on the market, some of which are arguably a better value for the money than others. In this article, we'll take a look at the best 4 man tent brands on the market including average customer ratings and reviews to help you make the best decision before you buy.
What to Consider When Choosing a 4 Man Tent
Before you choose a 4 man tent, you should make sure it's suitable for your needs. There are various types of tents available depending on how much money you have to spend, what type of camping you'll be using it for, the time of year you plan on camping and how much gear you need to store inside. Let's take a closer look at the most important considerations:
- Price - You can buy an inexpensive 4 man tent at your local department store for $50 (sometimes even less), but for a good quality product, expect to pay at $150 to $200. If money isn't a huge factor for you, the highest quality 4 man tents can cost $300 to $400. However, there's always a tent to fit anyone's budget; just know the more you can pay, the higher quality product you'll receive.
- Weight - If you plan on backpacking and carrying your tent any significant distance, you'll definitely want to look for something lightweight (and preferably that comes with a carrying bag). If you're just going to unpack it from the car and set it up at the camp site, weight won't be much of an issue for you.
- Time of Year - If you only plan on camping during the spring, summer or fall, most any tent will be adequate. However, if you plan on camping during the winter months, you'll need a 4 season 4 man tent with a heavier construction to protect against snow and other winter weather.
Features to Look for in a Four Man Tent
Following are some of the features you'll want to look for in a high quality 4 man tent. Most tents should have these qualities, which will make your camping trip a lot more enjoyable.
- Ventilation - Some type of controllable ventilation is always a good idea, especially if you intend on using the tent during the summer months.
- Easy Set-Up - If you're backpacking (or even if you're just camping at a campground), a tent that's easy to set up ensures you have more time to enjoy yourself and less time to spend on assembling your tent.
- Multiple Rooms - If you think you might need some privacy, especially if you plan on filling your 4 man tent to capacity, the ability to create multiple rooms with panels is a valuable feature.
- Waterproof Construction - When a tent is your only shelter, you really should make sure it's waterproof. You don't want to be stranded with rain pouring in on you while camping.
The Best 4 Man Tent: Reviews
All tents are designed to shield their occupants from the elements, including the rain and wind, but the different brands and types will vary in quality and durability. Two of the best-selling and highest quality 4 man tents on the market include the Coleman SunDome Four Person Dome Tent and the Eureka Sunrise 9 Four Person Family Tent. Let's take a look at what makes these two models better than the competition.
The Coleman SunDome Four Person Dome Tent is the least expensive of the two and measures 9 feet by 7 feet with a center height of 59 inches. It sleeps up to four people comfortably and features an exclusive WeatherTec system and welded waterproof floor to keep out the rain. Other features include an adjustable ventilation system, durable carrying bag, easy 10 minute setup, internal gear bag, electrical access port and privacy vent window. The instructions are even sewn into the carrying bag so you don't have to worry about keeping up with them between camping trips.
At the time of this writing, the Coleman 4 man dome tent has an average Amazon.com customer rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, and it only costs around $75 to purchase new. Customers like that it's easy to put together, lightweight, waterproof design and ventilation. Some customers thought this model was a little small for sleeping four people, but it should definitely sleep 2 to 3 adults and 1 child with no problems.
The Eureka Sunrise 9 Four Person Family Tent is a square dome-style tent that sleeps up to four people comfortably. It has a heavy-duty oxford polyester floor and a stormshield polyester fly that doesn't stretch when it gets wet. It measures 9 feet by 9 feet (81 square feet) with a center height of 72 inches. The entire tent only weighs 16 lbs. and 4 ounces. Features include a corner organizer, wall organizer with mirror, two water bottle pockets, large hooded windows for ventilation, mesh panels in the ceiling, triple coated fabric that repels water, high and low door vent, and quick and easy assembly.
The Eureka model has an average customer rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com at the time of this writing, and only costs about $175 to purchase new. Customers like how much space the tent has, the handy storage pockets, the ease of assembly, the ability to withstand rain and wind, and the good ventilation. Although it costs a little more, you get quite a bit more space and durability out of this one compared to the Coleman. Either 4 man tent will probably suit your needs, whether you're backpacking or camping at a camp site, so choose the one you like best and that best fits into your budget. Backpackers may be happier with the Coleman model, as its slightly smaller and weighs less.