What Types of Casino Jobs Are There?
There are a ton of opportunities when it comes to casino jobs, both in terms of the positions available and where the jobs are located.
The most popular jobs at a casino are those that deal with gambling. Casinos typically host a variety of games, including everything from blackjack and poker to craps and roulette to baccarat and slot machines. Casino employees are responsible for manning these games, except for slot machines, which are self-operated.
While casinos are mainly associated with the gambling activities that go on there, which is perhaps the biggest part of the casino business, there are usually many other aspects to a casino. For instance, most casinos also house a hotel, restaurants, shopping areas, and an entertainment venue â€“ all of which provide employment opportunities.
Casinos also employ a number of behind-the-scenes employees, including everything from managers to cashiers to security guards. These employees make sure that casino guests are acting accordingly and that the day-to-day operations of the casino go smoothly.
Where Should I Look for These Jobs?
There are many places to look for casino jobs, both in America and abroad. In fact, many places throughout the world have become known solely for their high-class casinos and gambling industries (think Caesars Palace in Las Vegas or Monte Carlo in Monaco).
Top Five Regions for Casinos
According to PricewaterhouseCooper, the top five regions for casinos â€“ based on projected 2011 revenue â€“ include:
- United States - $58,030 million
- Asia Pacific - $41,259 million
- Europe, Middle East, Africa - $16,452 million
- Canada - $4,045 million
- Latin America - $594 million
Top 11 Local Markets for Casinos
The top 11 local markets for casinos â€“ based on projected 2011 revenue â€“ include:
- Macau, China - $28,379 million
- Las Vegas, Nev., United States - $10,300 million
- Singapore - $5,479 million
- France - $3,957 million
- Atlantic City, N.J., United States â€“ $3,330 million
- Australia - $2,847 million
- South Korea - $2,512 million
- Germany - $2,081 million
- South Africa - $1,740 million
- United Kingdom - $1,209 million
- Poland - $1,126 million
Top 10 US Regions for Casinos
The top 10 regions in the United States for casinos â€“ based on 2009 revenues â€“ include:
- Las Vegas Strip, Las Vegas, Nev. - $5.5 billion
- Atlantic City, N.J. - $3.943 billion
- Chicago, Ill. - $2.092 billion
- Connecticut - $1.448 billion
- Detroit, Mich. - $1.36 billion
- St. Louis, Mo. - $1.050 billion
- Tunica Resorts, Miss. - $997.02 million
- Biloxi, Miss. - $833.5 million
- Shreveport, La. - $779.65 million
- Boulder Strip, Las Vegas, Nev. - $774.33 million