Who is eligible to claim CDB?

For basic information on how to apply for Disability Tax Credit, please check out this infobarrel article.

In order to be eligible to apply for Child Disability Benefit (CDB) you need to have an accepted disability tax credit application. CDB program is separate from all other programs offered by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and is an income supplement program designed to help parents who are supporting and caring for a child with disability. 

In order to be eligible to claim the CDB amount, you have to be a parent of the disabled child and have primary custody (in cases where there is divorce or separation). 

Unfortunately, you cannot claim the CDB amount if you are a Foster Parent or a Guardian. 

CRA seems to require a "parent" status to consider your application. 


How Much Can I receive from CDB program

The CDB amount is paid out monthly along with your Canada Child Tax Benefit on the 20th of every month. The maximum amount you can received is $200.00 per month. this amount will change depending on the family income level. 

You are no longer able to collect CDB once your eligible child turns 18. It is therefore strongly recommended that you apply for DTC as early as possible to take the full advantage of this program. 

Once you are approved for CDB, you will receive a monthly cheque or a direct deposit at your bank. 

CRA uses a complicated formula to calculate how much money you are eligible for receiving. 


How Can I apply for the CDB program

In order to be eligible for CDB, you have to first apply for the Disability Tax Credit. I wrote another article on how to apply for that on infobarrel. see What is a Disability Tax Credit?  for guidance on how to apply. 

Once your child is accepted for Disability Tax Credit, you will need to write a letter to the CRA requesting that they process CDB adjustments. 

It is absolutely acceptable to write the following: "My son/daughter is eligible for Disability Tax Credit. Please process CDB underpayments for years 2003 - 2012 ( or present year)."

You will need to send them this letter via regular mail. For the address of department you need to send this to, you will need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281 and ask them for the address of "CDB Unit". 



Is This Just a Tad Too Much To Do On Your Own?

There are a number of companies that are offering application for DTC/CDB as a service and charge a fee for their work. If you are feeling overwhelmed, you should look into contacting one of these companies. The best and oldest one I know of is The National Benefit Authority. They are very knowledgeable about the process but they are also the most expensive of the bunch. 

Stay tuned for more guides about Disability Tax Credit.