Single cup coffee makers are perfect for those of us that enjoy a fresh cup of coffee several times a day, but not necessarily in succession. If I make a pot of coffee in the morning and keep it warm, by the time I am craving a second cup, the coffee in the pot has already acquired a bitter burnt taste. The single cup coffee makers provide the perfect solution. A fresh cup every time, in under a minute, without the hassles of measuring coffee, keeping filters on hand and cleaning up afterwards.
Keurig is the leading single cup coffee maker in the US. I was introduced to Keurig in 2007 in the club house of the apartment complex I was living in as they had a Keurig machine for residents' use. A year later I bought one for myself. I was sold.
Here is why I love my Keurig single cup coffee maker:
- I brew a fresh cup of coffee every time. If I make a pot of coffee in the morning and keep it warm, by the time I am craving a second cup, the coffee in the pot has already acquired a bitter and burnt taste. With Keurig, this is a non-issue.
- Variety of coffee to sample. Keurig has over 200 varieties of beverages. Whether you want your coffee mild or bold, flavored or not, regular or decaf, there is a cup for you. You are also not committed to one or two varieties, but you can get a sampler pack and try all varieties within.
- It brews a single cup in under a minute. Keurig brews a single cup of coffee in under a minute. When I am running crazy like a chicken without its head in the morning, trying to get the kids out the door and to their schools on time, Keurig is great help. The only catch is that I need to have turned the machine on ahead of time to give it time to warm up. It only takes a few minutes to warm up, but if I need to grab a cup to go in the last minute before I run out the door, I need to have the warm water ready.
- No hassle. Keurig uses their patented K-cup brewing system. K-cups have their built-in filters, which means you do not need to keep any filters on hand and you definitely do not need to deal with a messy filter to throw away afterwards.
- Needs little to no maintenance. The Keurig single cup coffee maker needs very little maintenance. I wipe mine down as dust gathers on it using a damp cloth. The removable parts are washable and and the system itself needs to be descaled every three to six months using vinegar for optimum performance and taste. Easy peasy.
- Options for cup size. My Keurig has three size options and I choose based on how much coffee I would like to have at any given time.
My only complaint is that the unit I have makes a bit of noise as it warms the water and later as it brews the coffee. They may have come out with quieter units lately. My Keurig is a few years old.
Amazon Price: $199.47 Buy Now
(price as of Aug 1, 2015)