The Big Bang Theory is currently the most popular American Sitcom on television. Its global success is just incredible.
Some people say that it compares to Friends in term of popularity (as one of the biggest Friends’ fan, who still watches repeats after repeats, I would disagree with that).
The terrific chemistry of the sparkling characters, their witty humor and the carefully scripted material are probably some of the explanations for its success.
The main reason, on why I am captivated by this show, is that it makes me laugh. I enjoy The Big Bang Theory characters, especially Sheldon, Leonard and Penny and the story line feels new and refreshing. Each episode is filled with high level scientific jargon that most of the time I can’t quite get, but it’s still funny.
I get annoyed by those who criticize this show, for the sake of it. Winging that the characters are not believable, that they are exaggerated and that scientists may feel offended by being portrayed as stereotyped geeks, with social ineptitude.
Let's not forget that this is a SITCOM it’s not meant to be REAL, it’s not a representation of all the scientists in the world, it’s about geeks who happen to be nerds and happen to be scientists.
My only complaint about this show is the audience laughter, it’s pretty annoying, it would be great if they could tune it down a bit.
Did you know that?
- The first pilot (unaired) was not successful and did not get picked up by the network. If you look at this click, you will understand why. Luckily for us they reworked and refined a few things including adding the characters of Penny, Howard and Rajesh.
Unaired Pilot - Katie Equation
Best Quotes Of The Big Bang Theory
Here I have compiled some of my favourite quotes of this very successful show. Enjoy!
Interesting Facts About The Big Bang Theory
- If you live in Los Angeles, you may be able to attend the live taping of the BBT which is recorded at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, California on Tuesday evening.
- The Soft Kitty song that Sheldon's mother used to sing to Sheldon when he was sick as a child, is actually a children's song called Warm Kitty written by Edith Newlin and that versions of the song have been release by Australian children's performer Patsy Biscoe.
Soft kitty, Warm kitty, Little ball of fur.
Happy kitty, Sleepy kitty, Purr, purr, pur-r-r.
Amazon Price: $54.99 Buy Now
(price as of Jul 9, 2016)
- The writer Stephen Engel was the one who originated Sheldon's catchphrase “Bazinga!” It was Stephen's word for 'gotcha' when he would play practical jokes in the writers’ room.
- Kaley Cuoco who plays Penny and Johnny Galecki dated for real for two years while they were costars.
- There is only one set of stairs leading up to Penny, Leonard, and Sheldon’s apartments. The scene is rearranged for every shot.
- The original theme song was meant to be ‘She Blinded Me With Science’ by Thomas Dolby and not the one that we all know by Bare Naked Ladies.
- There is a real university professor hired as a science consultant to help with all those scientific references. David Saltzberg is an astroparticle physicist and Professor of Physics and Astronomy at the UCLA. He is the 'science consultant' who gets the science right on the show and fixes all the physics formula on the whiteboards.
- The UK newspaper The Guardian, has published an article, at the end of 2011, stating that the sitcom has contributed to a remarkable rise of enrolment to physic courses among A-level and university students, because the sitcom makes physics more popular.
Amazon Price: Buy Now
(price as of Jul 9, 2016)