When a friend first suggested I watch House of Cards I was very reluctant. I knew it was based off of a hit British television show, but that did not sway me. I didn’t know how to feel about Netflix creating original content. I was used to watching television shows on (wait for it) television and wasn’t too excited about giving this new wave a chance. Even more, I am not into politics and assumed a ‘Political thriller’, as it is categorized, would quickly bore me. Then I started hearing all of the hype about the awesome cast and read some great reviews. Never one to enjoy being behind the curve I decided to give it a shot with the understanding that I was only going to watch one episode to see what the hype was all about. Once I started, there was no turning back! I binge watched the entire first season from start to finish within two days and enjoyed every second. This television series is exciting, intriguing, thought provoking and clever. A great body of work, I have become a huge fan and referrer to this series. Here are ten reasons why you should be binge watching season one right now!
1. The entire first season is available for online streaming right now! Netflix knows that waiting is so 1999. You no longer have to wait an entire week to see what happens in your favorite television show. You can watch the entire season today, tomorrow, any time you would like! What’s even better is you do not need to be at home to watch. You can enjoy shows on Netflix from your mobile phone or tablet on your commute to work or stream it from a laptop while waiting for your flight in the airport (sorry if you’re one of the many people stranded due to the thousands of canceled flights).
2. If, like me, you watched the entire first season already you need to re-watch in order to refresh yourself with all of the drama and twists you may have forgotten. I can imagine that once the season ended you immediately started looking for a season two release date online. Well, the wait is over, you finally get to see what happens next!
3. The cast is phenomenal. Kevin Spacey (as Francis “Frank” Underwood) is the lead character, Robin Wright (as Claire Underwood) plays his wife and together they are a powerhouse couple willing to do any and everything for success. Kate Mara (as Zoe Barnes) plays the role of investigative journalist for The Washington Herald, as well as the mistress of Spacey’s character. Other notable characters are Corey Stoll, Michael Kelly and Michael Gill.
4. The Great Reviews it has received. Critics rated the first season exceptionally well across the board. USA Today critic Robert Bianco praised the series, particularly Spacey and Wright’s lead performances, stating, “If you think network executives are nervous, imagine the actors who have to go up against that pair at the Emmys.” Writing in The New York Times, critic Alessandra Stanley lauded House of Cards as an entertainment that “revels in the familiar but always entertaining underbelly of government.”
5. The many awards it has won. This year House of Cards took home the Writers Guild of America Award for a new television series as well as Robin Wrights’ Golden Globe for Best Actress in a television series drama. Last year the series won three primetime Emmy Awards as well as a Webby Award. There are plenty more nominations from The Critic’s Choice Awards, People’s Choice Awards, Producers Guild of America as well as Writers Guild of America, all of which are well deserved. This television series is a certified hit according to the fans, critics and award committees.
6. The plot is fascinating and sure to keep you on the edge of your seat. Kevin Spacey plays an ambitious Democratic congressman from South Carolina who helped ensure the election of the newly elected President in return for his own appointment as Secretary of State. When he is not nominated for Secretary of State he feels betrayed and vows to seek revenge on those responsible. Even more intriguing to me is the possibility that these types of scandals and under the table deals actually go on in American politics. I find myself watching the news comparing real stories to the story line from House of Cards. It’s that believable!
7. The Second Season Premiers tomorrow on Netflix! Unlike with regular television shows, Netflix releases the entire season at once so that you can binge watch whenever you please. The trailer shows that the drama, scandal and politics will continue to keep you glued this season and I am very excited to see how the problems from season one will be resolved. The entire main cast is returning for season two, ensuring that the chemistry and relationships introduced in season one will pick up right where they left off.
8. It has already been renewed for a third season. The hype will only continue to build, so catch up while you are only behind one season. Netflix announced earlier this month that House of Cards would have a season three due to the overwhelming success of season one and the anticipation of season two’s release.
9. This is the wave of the future and you do not want to be left behind. Gone are the days when you needed cable to see your new television shows. Everything is Internet based these days and Netflix is leading the way in the television department with their original content.
10. The terrible weather! With the weather putting many people on house arrest, this is the perfect time to cuddle up on the sofa with popcorn and snacks to watch House of Cards. Knowing you have to stay home, you don’t have to turn away if you don’t want. Go ahead and ‘Play All’! Make the most of your snow day and give yourself something to talk about at the water cooler once work resumes.
Amazon Price: $55.99 $24.40 Buy Now
(price as of Feb 13, 2014)