Why you should use a moisturizer
Healthy, moisturized skin is essential not just to look beautiful but also to maintain your inner health and wellbeing. The skin should be kept supple and moist to a great extent as dry and withered skin has much to do with ill health.
Ordinary dry skin, xerosis is the medical term, isn’t a serious condition but it can be very uncomfortable and unsightly. Dry skin is caused by shriveled skin cells, which create fine lines and wrinkles on your skin and make you look much older than you really are.
Although it may not be possible to achieve a completely flawless skin, a simple routine of skin care, starting with cleansing and then moisturizing, will keep you in good health and your skin good looking.
If skin becomes overly dry, it struggles to function at its best. So, bringing your dry skin back to its healthy state begins with understanding what it endures and what it needs. The two principle ways of hydrating your skin is firstly, drinking plenty of water, and secondly using a good moisturizer.
Why use a moisturizer? First let us speak about what a moisturizer does to our skin. Beneath the surface, our skin is 70% water, enabling it to act as a moisture and nutrient reserve for the entire body. So keeping our skin well hydrated is critical not only to the wellbeing of the skin, but also to the wellbeing of our entire body.
What kind of moisturizer suits your skin type? There are many types of moisturizers. Both light and heavy moisturizers that are most appropriate for your skin, depends on a series of composite factors that include your skin type, age, climate, work etc. For instance if you live in a cold and dry climate, your skin may need a thicker moisturizer, but if the air around you is hot and humid- a fact that causes you to perspire a lot- you may need a light moisturizer that will allow your skin to breathe.
For dry skin, which is severely lacking in sebum, rich creamy moisturizers are best. I personally recommend the usage of cocoa butter moisturizer for very dry skin. Liquid moisturizers are for greasy skin (you don’t want your skin any greasier than it is naturally) using an oil free moisturizer protects your facial skin from dryness but allows make up to glide on easier.
A moisturizer’s base consists of some types of oil emulsion and water, enhanced with vitamins, antioxidants, essential fatty acids and natural extracts, all acting together to limit the natural evaporation of water from the skin. Moisturizers may also contain humectants which prevent water loss by attracting moisture to the skin by acting as natural evaporative and protective barriers in the outer layer of the epidermis.
When should I use my moisturizer?
It is best to moisturize both in the morning and at night. As the ingredients used during the day and night moisturizers differ from each other. Day moisturizers will pump up the outer layer of the skin, giving you a smoother, healthier looking appeal. Night moisturizers act as regenerators. At night the cells in your skin divide twice as quickly as at day. The cells from the deeper layers of your skin come through and transforms into surface cells. So at night we need a moisturizer to help with the healing and formation of new skin.
Hope you have a clear idea of why moisturizers are important.
Tips for good skin
If you suddenly remembered a party that you have to attend and didn’t have the time to go to the salon, try out the following method to achieve immediate results. Mix 1-2 tbsp. of gram flour with lime juice or rosewater to make a thick paste. Apply on the face like a pack leave for 15 minutes and wash off with cold water, massaging in upward strokes to remove the dry paste. Your skin becomes soft and clear immediately. So it will look healthy and moisturized.
This above recipe was used by my friend who had acne all over her face. She did it twice a week for around 5 months. Will you believe me if I say that her face became very clear and free of acne. Try it, and then you will believe me. Then again as I have said in my previous article some remedies work for certain people while some don't. All you have got to do is to try. As these tips are natural there will not be any side effects and you needn’t empty your purse out when buying them.
For best results you have to apply any cream or moisturizer at the best time. Research shows that different body cells are active at different times of the day. Skin cells repair most effectively at night, production of collagen is at its peak, harmful particles are destroyed, and cell damage is healed during your sleep. So night creams help a lot.
During the day moisturizers are important because we are out in the sun and we do lots of hard work that can drain the moisture in our skin. So, day time moisturizers help in maintaining the moisture.
- Before application of any cream the area must be washed, preferably in slightly hot water and pat dried using a soft face towel. Any facial cream should be applied including the neck. The cream should be applied using the tips of the fingers.
- If you want that soft clean look then add two teaspoons of rice flour and two teaspoons of curd. Mix and apply on the face at night leave for a few minutes and wash it off. This is also the secret formula to remove make up.
- A paste of fresh papaw (papaya) is said to clear skin, lighten marks and scars and the face will appear fairer.
- We should understand that changes don’t happen in a flash. One should try the treatment at least for 40 days to see a difference.
- We have heard that the face is the mirror to the heart. So shouldn’t this face and its skin be maintained well? The face contains very important parts; our eyes, ears, nose and lips. Sadly the skin on the face is more prone to acne, blemishes, warts, pimples and black heads. So it’s essential that the shin of the face be in excellent condition.
- Applying crushed avocado can moisturize dry skin. It also brings back the glow to the skin.
- The facial skin tone varies on different places. The skin around the eyes is the softest and the most sensitive. The skin on the nose is naturally oily. The skin around the mouth tends to get dry soon. So, one must make sure that he does not apply any kind of cream or moisturizer, a good cream must be applied to achieve healthy skin.
- Some people get frustrated with all the creams and moisturizers available so they resort to washing the face with only water and refrain from using soap or a face wash. This can clear the skin but only water is not sufficient to remove the dead cells on the facial skin. Using only water can result in dull facial skin. The face should be washed with water constantly so dirt and germs will be removed and the skin will glow.
- One can get rid of many skin diseases if one comes out of the habit of touching the face constantly, as this can transfer dirt and germs from the hands to the face. Careless in removal of makeup is another main cause of irritated facial skin.
HOPE THIS ARTICLE WAS USEFUL; YOUR COMMENTS ARE MOST WELCOME!