Biodegradable Cat Litter Alternatives
Great Wood-Based Litter Options to Try!
Searching for a biodegradable cat litter to your traditional clay-base? Fortunately, you will not have to look very far. There is increasing demand for cat litter that will do the job without creating unnecessary health risks. Surprisingly, there are a lot of options.
Wood Based Cat Litter Alternatives
Here is a list of wood based kitty litter alternatives and a brief summary of their best features:
Average Cost: $8 - $16
One of the most popular wood-based litters is called Feline Pine. If you are interested in a product that does not have stinging dust pickup, Feline Pine is an excellent alternative to clay-based cat litter. Here are a few of it's most beneficial features:
- Wood-based litter that either comes in small composite pellets or a soft, clumping formula.
- Biodegradeable: Feline Pine can be flushed or used outside.
- Track-free & oil-free keeping your floors free of scattered litter and residues.
- Lighter than traditional clay kitty litter. Feline Pine is made of sawdust from pine scraps and therefore, it is not a heavy formula like clay.
- No synthetics, dyes, or silica for a much safer product for your pets.
Average Price: $8 - $14
Yesterday's News is made by Purina and have created healthy cats and healthy owners with a newspaper-based litter made rom recycled newspaper.
- Yesterday's News is 3x more absorbant than clay!
- Extremely low odor.
- Virtually no tracking.
- Unscented with no fragrance or chemicals.
CareFresh Pet Bedding
Average Price: $8-$15
CareFresh is a fluffy, wood-based product most commonly used for bedding in rodent cages. However, it works great for your furry feline friend! CareFresh also offers a cracked, pine pellet formula similar to Feline Pine.
- Biodegradeable Cat Litter!
- Compostabe, like most other plant-fiber based products.
- Superior Odor Control.
Average Price: $15
Good Mews is a wood-like, pellet-based litter designed to give your cat a great texture to dig and bury. Good Mews contains no toxins or cedar and is made of 100% recycled paper.
- Pellets are non-abrasive and non-irritating for less chance of infection.
- Safe, if ingested and dust free.
- A completely biodegradable kitty litter that is made from recycled paper products.
- Natural fibers absorb quickly and neutralize ammonia odors, leaving the cat litter box fresh and dry.
- No more cleaning up the fine "sand" tracked from the cat box.
- Only available in small retail stores throughout Oregon, Washington, and California, like Fred Meyer & Quality Food Centers.
Which Wood Based Kitty Litter is Right for Your Cat?
Every feline is different and therefore, may or may not care for a litter change. Always try something new with caution and slowly convert litters, by adding a gradual amount of the new litter to the old. With several pleasant qualities of wood base cat litters, making the change from traditional clay should be a no brainer!