Forgot your password?

Your Pet Pooch and your Good Health

By Edited May 21, 2015 2 0

Your Pet Pooch and your Good Health

Your Pet Pooch and your Good Health

By: J. Marlando

Maybe you are like me. I am always going to start taking better care of myself…tomorrow.

Mostly I sit behind a desk all day, mostly I sit outside on the patio and mostly I sit and watch T.V. I know that I’m not doing myself any favors but, on the other hand, I’m one of those persons who never seem to have the time to do any exercising. Well, truth be told, by the time I get through with my day I’m pretty anxiety filled and all I want to do is…well, flop down someplace and watch the world go by. Well, that was me at least three months ago, now I walk nearly an hour a day and I’m feeling far more vibrant and my thinking is sharper.

What good is walking?

The experts say that if you’re a woman that walking an hour a day gives you a 20% less chance of ever getting breast cancer; no matter which gender you are it reduces your chances of getting heart disease by as much as 30% and 50% less for getting diabetes and, in the doing, add some years to your life. Walking even helps to prevent osteoporosis, strengthens your legs muscles and feeds your brain needed oxygen while keeping your blood flowing. And, it’s probably the easiest exercise there is—you don’t have to go to the gym, lift heavy stuff, jump in the pool or even jog. You just need to put some effort in your walking and you’ll start feeling better.

Three months ago you couldn’t get me off my rear—I was like that TV ad that tells you a “body at rest tends to stay at rest.” Then we adopted Toby, a big, lovable and playful pooch that came to our yard one day and never left. There was just one problem; our yard is not conducive to dog safety—there’s no fence and automobile traffic can get pretty heavy. Within a few days after Toby moved in with us is when my wife lowered the hammer. “You got to take that poor dog for a walk now and then,” she said.

Your Pet Pooch and your Good Health(102402)
      It took me a couple days to work up the energy but I finally put a leash on Toby and walked him around the block. It had been so long since I had walked my legs actually hurt. Anyway, around the same time the next day, Toby gave me that look and began wagging his tale—he actually thought it was time for another walk. I gave in and took him. Now, every day at the around the same time Toby “forces me” into taking him for a walk and now we are walking for at least an hour seven days a week.

The truth is I don’t always feel like going but our pet pooch insists and so thanks to him, I’m getting in really good shape now. Now I’m aware that not everyone has a dog but if you do, know that you have the best walking friend that you could have and trust me, once your pooch gets in the habit of taking a walk, he or she will simply not let you off the hook and, you know what, that’s about the best thing that can happen to you if you’re one of us who just can’t seem to muster the energy to do much more than to move from one chair to the next. And, there’s one other thing—the pound is populated by pooches who would love to be your best friend.   

Your Pet Pooch and your Good Health(102403)




Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Health