There are so many recommended supplements for hair loss it can quickly become very overwhelming to decide which you are willing to take on a daily basis. Ideally, it would be best to get these essentials through diet alone, but that may not be practical for so many reasons. So, below is a compiled a list of 5 of my favorite hair support supplements.
1) Curcumin – Curcumin can be found in the popular Indian spice, turmeric. It is the most active biologic compound of the spice and is responsible for giving it the bright orange-yellow color curry is popular for. Curcumin is a powerful anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. When combined with resveratrol is has been to shown to have strong hair growth properties.
· Degrades the androgen receptors responsible for hair loss.
· Decreases inflammation
· Strong antioxidant
· Protects against damaging free radicals
2) Grape Seed Extract (GSE) - Grape Seed Extract contains proanthocyanidins which are a group of very potent antioxidants. They have been highly recommended by many anti-aging researchers.
- Acts as a blood vessel and microcapillary relaxant, which will allow the hair follicle continued access to its blood supply.
- Decreases inflammation in the scalp
- Counters Estrogen Dominance
- More powerful antioxidant than vitamins C and E.
3) Soy Isoflavones – Soy Isoflavones have mild phytoestrogenic properties, which can neutralize androgens in the body. Phytoestrogens are natural and come from plants.
· Prevent the hair loss effect of testosterone by inhibiting the binding of testosterone to the hair and scalp receptor.
· Can lower DHT by 15%
· Increases and stimulates collagen production
4) Resveratrol – It is a natural antibiotic, which comes from plants, but most famously, can be found in red wine.
· Has been shown to have strong hair growth effects when combined with Curcumin.
· Stabilizes hormones to allow hair growth
· Neutralizes inflammation, a prime component of the balding process
5) Theaflavin – Theaflavin is a black tea flavonoid. It has strong cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory benefits. Black tea consumption appears to have significant benefits for those with hair loss.
· Can decrease DHT by 72%
· Enhances circulation
Each of the above supplements has strong anti-aging and anti-hair loss properties. Many of them are found in some very expensive hair loss products. You will be able to find all of these either at a local health food store or online for reasonable prices.
I’d just like to end with reminding you that hair loss in women is very treatable. In many cases it has to do with your hormonal health (unless you’ve had an allergic reaction of some sort, etc.). It is important to fight hair loss from the inside out, balance your hormones, and lead a healthy lifestyle. If you do these things, most cases of hair loss can resolve themselves over time.