- Chicken 1 lbs
- Rice 1 1/ 2 cups
- Yogurt 1 cup
- Oil 3 tsp
- Water 6 cups
- Bay leaf 2
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
- Potato 1 medium size
- Pepper as per taste
- Red pepper powder as per taste
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/ 2 tsp
- Mint leaves 10 – 12 leaves chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Cloves 3
- Onions 2 cups sliced
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Black cardamom 1
- Green cardamom 2
- Saffron (optional) 1/ 4 tsp
- Clarified butter 1 tsp (optional)
- Coriander/ cilantro for garnishing
- Fried onion 1/ 2 cup
- Cashew for garnishing (optional)
- Raisins for garnishing (optional)
- Soak rice for half an hour. Wash the rice before soaking.
- In a different bowl soak water and saffron and keep it aside.
- Heat pan in gas and boil water in it.
- Once the water starts boiling, add 1 bay leaf, salt, oil and green cardamom.
- Add the rice to this boiling water. And cook only for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and put it in gas in heat.
- Add oil, you can also add 1 tsp of clarified butter if you want.
- Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cardamom .
- After a minute add onion and fry till they are golden in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Mix well
- After 2 minutes add all the spices and mix well.
- Now add chicken pieces in it and mix well and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add yogurt, salt, mint leaves, pepper and potato and mix well.
- Cover the pan and let the chicken cook for 15 minutes.
- In a different pan, layer the chicken at the bottom layer. Take out the gravy and potato from the chicken.
- Add rice (not all) in the second layer and then layer it with gravy and potatoes.
- Spread the remaining rice and layer on it cashews, raisins, fried onion, cilantro, saffron.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for half an hour.
- Mix well.
Serve hot with "raita".
- You can add boiled eggs also in this recipe.
- You can use Microwave or oven to complete steps 16 to 19.
- Instead of frying onions, you can use ready-made fried onions.
- You can add vegetables of your choice in this recipe.
- Make "raita" by mixing grated cucumber, yogurt, salt, cumin powder and paprika.